Best pulse flour for making pasta?

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Calling all vegetarians! What pulse flour do you use for making pasta? DS#1 is visiting and I'd like to make pasta for him. Lentil? Chickpea?

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ok...I've been vegetarian for 10+ years & have never heard of pulse flour!! :hu

Lesa

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Glad you said it, 2bz- I was a vegetarian for 30 years and never heard of it! I think we are about to learn something!!

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We regularly grind white (navy, kidney) beans for baking bread, but I've never made pasta so no idea on that one, sorry :hu

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
As in, no grain flour at all? I can't imagine that that would hold together ... although I've never thought about it before.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
In our case the bean flour is only a portion of the flours we use in baking bread (we also use whole wheat, spelt, rye, corn, rice, and barley flours in baking).

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Marianne said:
Calling all vegetarians! What pulse flour do you use for making pasta? DS#1 is visiting and I'd like to make pasta for him. Lentil? Chickpea?
Some pastas are made out of chickpeas in Liguria. Look for: farinata di ceci and use google translate.

ETA: It's more like a, um, pancake that's cut up and used like pasta than a true pasta though.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
moolie said:
In our case the bean flour is only a portion of the flours we use in baking bread (we also use whole wheat, spelt, rye, corn, rice, and barley flours in baking).
I was thinking of the pasta, not bread :lol:.

Interesting idea, using bean flour in bread. Want to start a new thread with recipes and techniques?

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Good deal...I thought I was some kind of DumbS for never hearing of the word 'pulse' before. LOL

I did some reading on the Canada pulse website yesterday after no one was commenting on this thread. It really was pretty interesting. It's just a basic term for legume - beans, lentils, chickpea - http://www.pulsecanada.com/

This site has big pics and recipes, dialup beware! But the recipes look really good.

I mentioned to DS#1 about making noodles - then he asked about the pulse flours. Well, you know my reaction - :hu He suggested half pulse flour, half all purpose to raise the protein level of the noodles. I'll try most anything once, ya know? He wasn't sure which flour would be the best for noodles. I don't have a clue.

I sense an experiment coming up.