Best Seed Catalog??

yourbadd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
In the past I've bought my garden plants at a local nursery but given the cost and lack of variety, I want to start from seed this year.

So...where do you buy your seeds from? I like the idea of organic and heritage varieties but again, cost is a factor.

Thanks!!!

booker81

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I love E&R Seeds, but they are an Amish/Mennonite group and no website. Their catalog is fantastic however. They have an answering service for phone and email.

Email is eandrseed@yahoo.com, phone is 866-510-3337.

They have a LOT of heritage and organic seeds, and the prices are very good I think. I also buy started plants from them - the price and shipping is as good as buying started from a nursery, and the selection is MUCH better.

I usually overestimate when I order, so I just write a check for extra. They send the change back in an envelope with my order :)

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Baker Creek, Pinetree, and Southern Seed Exchange are all good.......

Ohioann

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Try SandHill Preservation Center in Iowa. Their website is www.sandhillpreservation.com for the catalog listings. You have to order via the mail but the catalog is on line. Glen and Linda have heritage poultry, seeds and sweet potato plants. Have done business with them for years. Good people.:)

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I like Baker for my melons and a few odds and ends. Pinetree is where I get my favorite lettuce mix and some other veggies like my favorite purple green beans. The tomatoes MUST come from Tomato fest (though I do get some from Bakers, Scheepers and Seed Savers) when they tempt me. And I know I've bought some from Sandhill but this year I'm trying to cut back a little and use up some of what I have and then seed save more at the end of the year.

booker81

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Baker's prices are almost double for some of the seed (based on what they have listed online) vs what I'm getting...

That would be interesting, see what costs where. For instance - Amish Paste tomatoes are $2.50/25 seeds at Baker, $1.85/50 at E&R. Detroit Dark Red Beets are $1.75/250 seeds at Baker, $0.75/500 at E&R. I think that's what turned me from Baker once I got turned to E&R (though no one's heard of E&R, no website, darn those Amish).

Homemaker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
yourbadd said:
In the past I've bought my garden plants at a local nursery but given the cost and lack of variety, I want to start from seed this year.

So...where do you buy your seeds from? I like the idea of organic and heritage varieties but again, cost is a factor.

Thanks!!!
I could have written this word for word Thanks for posting! I was just thinking about this.