Best Trade of the Year!!

Flytyer24

Power Conserver
Reaction score
When dealing with people regularly I will always remember that Good Will is worth a lot. If it's just bussiness then yes be all means don't sell your self short. A little sweat isn't gonna kill anyone and she is obviously is happy with the work. In my experience when you keep money out of the equation it will make the experience that much more fulfilling. She will appreciate it and a great friendship will be born.

Also you will gain a great resource. I used to go help out at a farm just for fun. Turned out the caretaker was an retired mechanic and started helping me restore my 68 f100. Never would have benefitted from that if I hadn't given a little.

Good for you!

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You got a point! Sometimes when you help out without any thought of getting anything back.... is when you get the most out of it! But then... beware of "users"!

Flytyer24

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I am user proof... When you do something with no expectations than it is impossible to be used. This is not saying I always am selfless either.

sparks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My neighbor works @ the paper mill. He has toilet paper and paper towels...I have eggs..good trade. I know hes been here when I find large packs of paper goods by the garage fridge...by the way...that was a great trade FranklinStreetWest

Strysa

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I would have to say my best work for trade deal was a few years back. I had a little older gentleman next door that had 2 dairy cows. He let me keep half of the milk that I gathered from his "ladies" as he called them. I honestly loved doing the work anyways and would have probably done it for free just to help him out, but who can say no to fresh milk? Not me! :drool

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FranklinStreetWest said:
Cindlady2 said:
My husband barters what he can for things, this last winter the guy we buy wood from (when we have to buy) had his truck break down. Hubby delivered 2 cords of wood in our truck (took 4 trips but only 10 miles a trip) and we got a cord free! Cost us less than $50 to do.

I traded an EE roo for a EE pullet.... to me that was great! Anyone else need a roo?
A roo for a pullet?!! That is a good trade!!
Well If you want to produce chicks you need a roo, if you don't you don't.

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yep, he lost his roo over the winter and with spring coming and hens getting broody.... the timing was right! :p

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Cindlady2 said:
You got a point! Sometimes when you help out without any thought of getting anything back.... is when you get the most out of it! But then... beware of "users"!

20 years ago I deduced that my brother-in-law was a "user" who kept careful score. Most people saw him at first as a super-helpful friendly guy, then as a difficult, down-right spiteful person as time went by and the receiver didn't reciprocate in the way he felt he was owed. My DH was highly offended when I first mentioned this to him, because he was still in the receiving and giving mode with bro. However, the demands eventually got to be too great, and as soon as DH refused to play along, the illusion was gone. He now sees his bro as what he is: Narcissistic personality disordered hoarder, 4 times married and divorced, self-alienated from his children, father, and all former acquaintenances. I feel sorry for him but not enough to put my self in jeopardy by reaching out. :idunno

YogaMama

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
That was an AWESOME trade! I trade services with my chiropractor. I clean her home, and she adjusts me and the family for free. I have a babysitter, that watches my kids for free, and my husband does computer work for her. It's all about give and take!