Best way to tell my goat is in heat?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Put your pee-rag in a jar with a lid that closes very tightly. Then just open the jar in front of the doe and give her a big whiff, then close it up again. The smell of the buck can stimulate the doe to come into heat.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Britesea said:
When that "nice little guy" comes into rut, things are gonna change.
We actually owned this little guy last year, he is a sweetie, even in rut, and so were all his offspring. He is a nigerian dwarf and quite small, he wasn't always cooperative but never mean.

Thanks, Free, for pointing out how it is done. A jar sounds like a much better way to do it.

*goes off hunting for an empty pickle jar.....

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I haven't actually had to do it, since I've kept a buck. I did read up on it when I was considering driveway breeding way back when, and this was the solution that made the most sense and seemed to be the easiest. And the least likely to make YOU smell like a buck! :sick

My boy is super rank this year. He is in full form now and it is barely September. He wasn't this stinky last year as a youngster until it was cold enough that the neighbors had their windows closed and didn't spend much time outside....I'm hoping I don't get complaints. If he does his job well on the first round, he should be outa here by January.

Are you reading this, H23? :p

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
The buck I'm using is nice but REAAAAALLLLY smelly. When people described buck stink, I thought, how bad could it be? I have worked at vet clinics and boarding kennels and taken care of sick dogs, dead bodies, etc., I'm fairly tough that way, I'm the official vomit-cleaner-upper of the family because everyone else begins to ralph themselves.

But buck stink................it seems to linger like smoke and permeates everything. It made me queasy, literally. I don't mind at all that he lives with my new friend and I have to drive Molly down to visit.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Just remember that smell will get on her. You may be better off walking her back or driving with all the windows down.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
dragonlaurel said:
Just remember that smell will get on her. You may be better off walking her back or driving with all the windows down.
Good point! I can't possibly walk her back. Gosh, Freemotion's idea of buying a buckling is sounding better and better! :lol: We really liked the offspring from this buck however, we will try it this way this year and I had thought to buy a buckling NEXT summer when we hopefully have our financial house a little more back in order.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
She won't get as stinky with a driveway breeding as she did when she spent days with the buck. Do you have some of that enzyme cleaner for treating urine on a rug? One that does not have harsh scents added to it? You can rub her down with a cloth soaked in that stuff to help with the buck pee a bit.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Thanks!

I find myself drifting to Craig's list and checking out bucklings......someone in the next town over has a buckling for sale that is either nubian or mini nubian, I just asked them which it is. A full nubian would be too large but a mini nubian buckling would be perfect.

How could I possibly keep him away from my six month old doeling though? She was in heat a few weeks ago. I do have two pens.....

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
Now if you wanna hear about breeding bunnies, we have that down pat......I get hysterical every time the male faints though, I can't help it. My (male) family members don't think it is as funny.
ROFL oh yeah we have the bunny "dates" (or one second stands) down pat too! We have had a few boys that need to figureout which end is the right way... but that's typically easy to fix... just swing his butt around and he is like "oh! that's how it's done" typically never have to show them twice... :lol:

Now goats on the other hand are totally new and a total mystery to me... Why can't I just stick her in the buck's pen then bam.... babies in 30 days... hahaha

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm having the same problem....I can't tell when my girls are in heat either but I need to breed them soon. I am thinking I am gonna call the breeder who is about an hour away and see if she can send me a buck rag. I'm also thinking I'm gonna dry Aliana off...her production has really dropped. She's gone from giving me 16-20 oz per milking when we got her to giving me 6 oz this morning...she's a nigi. Frustrating. I need to get her bred though. Gotta call the breeder...I sent her an email a few days ago but haven't heard from her.