Best way to watch internet movies on TV?

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I want to hook up my laptop to my TV to watch movies on the internet. Personally, sick of staring at a small screen. I was looking at a Roku digital player sold through Netflix for $80 with free shipping. Problem is that it is geared for Netflix and Amazon movies only. Pretty sure that I can't watch Hulu on it. However, it doesn't require hooking it up to the laptop - has BlueTooth installed. Also, no extra charge from Netflix to use.

There is also a connecter sold at Radio Shack that is about $100. Has anyone successful connected their laptop to their TV? How much was it? Was it easy to install?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I have the Roku and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!

Also Geek son fixed us some kind of box thing. (? :hu ) That you can download from Hulu onto it and then save the shows. I have no idea other than to turn it on and watch.

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
I have the Roku and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!

Also Geek son fixed us some kind of box thing. (? :hu ) That you can download from Hulu onto it and then save the shows. I have no idea other than to turn it on and watch.
Is it good enough to cancel digital cable? It seems like everything on demand and on digital is already on Netflix instant. The only problem with Roku is you can't watch Hulu.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
YES!! Never missed it!

The Roku box and Netflix costs us $10 a month and that INCLUDES one DVD Netflix movie checked out at a time with unlimited view and unlimited check outs each month. As soon as you mail the DVD back the next one arrives (usually within a day!) from a pre-selected que. Plus we are STILL trying to watch all of the instant view things the we enjoy - they have 1,000s of selections and add more constantly.

Of course we DO get our high speed internet through AT&T and NOT cable.

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hmmm!! We still get high speed through Comcast. I here that they have caps on how much you can use it each month. Do you still get standard cable? Also, what type of TV do you use? We don't have HD just the old fashioned tube type.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
We have a projector that we hook up to the laptop and project movies onto the wall....great set up!

Lucky for us, the projector was a business expense :gig

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Dace said:
We have a projector that we hook up to the laptop and project movies onto the wall....great set up!

Lucky for us, the projector was a business expense :gig
Don't think I will buy a projector in the near future. Still, seriously considering using Roku. The idea of having to use my laptop to directly watch movies does not appeal to me. It is used quite often for school and other things. I do have a laptop out in the garage that crashed this Summer. Unfortunately, to fix it up and add a proxy server would be more expensive than XBOX360 or BluRay. Off course, I would not have to pay a monthly subscription to use it like XBOX.