Bethanial - hows that pumpkin?

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
hey Bethanial!!! hey baby - good to see you over here
:)

how did that pumpkin turn out - did you get it cooked down in the crockpot?

its ok if it didnt have a lot of water in it - i think it depends on how long it had been harvested. just give a taste to make sure its ok and you're good to go

now go and make a pie!

does everyone know Bethanial?

everyone - this is Bethanial

Bethanial - this is everyone

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks, OhioFarmGirl, for the welcome! BTW, this is how I found your blog ;-)

It did finish cooking up quite nicely in the crockpot, and I FOUND the water of which you were speaking! I definitely got a carving pumpkin, though, and not a pie pumpkin - tastes too "vegetablely" - and that comes from my Mom who LOVES her squashes!

By slightly increasing the sugar called for though, I've been able to cook with it decently well - go to allrecipes.com and search for Apple Butter Pumpkin Pie - Oh. My. Goodness! I will never make the recipe off the back of the Libby's can again (even if that's what I'm using)! Best Pumpkin Pie EVER - and it's delish with a cup of coffee for breakfast ;)

Grocery store had some pumpkins on sale (not the ones labeled pie pumpkins, though), and I got 2 of these. Hopefully it's at least slightly better in quality. If not, the dog and cat food will stretch that much farther - they LOVE the stuff :D

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
and it's delish with a cup of coffee for breakfast wink
thats my girl! whooot!

great work on the crock pot.. i might give it a go. i got another couple blue pumpkins and i swear they are sooooooo sweet i dont need much sugar.

and yep - dogs and cats will love the pumpkin.

Apple Butter Pumpkin Pie ???? thats what i'm talking about!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Good morning!!! Nice to meet ya!!

That reminds me I have some Cushaw I baked in the fridge. I should puree it up today and make a pie. :D

that recipe sound delish. I am going to have to go track it down.

gina

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
OH for the LOVE of all that is HOLY! THAT sounds so good!! Looking in the pantry now, evap milk, check, spices, check, apple butter, check, pumpkins..check! WOOHOO!! Look out oven, here we come!

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
you said it, justy! i'm cranking up the crock pot.. i got some apples around here somewhere that are just moments (hours!) away from apple butter
;-)

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I forgot to mention the streusel topping? Sorry - that's one of the best parts! Well, besides, the pumpkin, and the apple butter, and .... :lol:

I would however recommend baking the pie as suggested on the can of Libby, which is different from this recipe, by raising the temp of the oven for the first 15 minutes to 400-whatever, and then lowering to 350* for the remaining bake time. Mine baked for the 55 minutes at 350* and it was still jiggly/wiggly in the middle - no need to stick a knife in to see that. So (as I've done countless times with pumpkin pies when they need to cook longer but I don't want to burn them, and have other things to attend to), I just turned the oven off, but left the pie in it. Couple hours later when I checked, the pie is cooked! Oven back up to temp, streusel topping in place, yum!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I really like using the crock pot to cook up squash. I just cooked up a spaghetti squash last night. Going to make spaghetti squash lasagna tonight.

I refuse to look at the pumpkin pie recipe. I don't think my blood sugar levels could take it :D