Bettacreek - New home? Plus a pic of some of the ladies here

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Looks like our move in date will be about mid-February. That's when I'll be starting school again, so it'll be a bit rough at first. I'll have to see if we can build homes for the birds, then transport them there. It'll be a bit much to change my schedule, then come here to care for the birds, move some stuff and build pens all at once.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We got the house knocked down to $128k, because of some fixes that need to be done (though there really isn't much, it's certainly livable). My turkeys have been doing well, an egg per day from the two hennies and a 100% fertility rate. Too bad the chickens aren't quite that fertile, despite having five breeding roosters! The pekins are infertile, because after replacing the drake, he got captured by the neighbor's dog and died. I have some new breeds coming in, white bresse, tolbunt polish, silkies (paints), umm, lavender ameraucanas, silkied ameraucanas and I'm sure some other stuff. I think I have my pens all figured out, four or five large breeder pens, one super massive pen and some smaller breeder pens. My current group, who will be in the super massive pen, seem to be okay with chicks, so I'm hoping that I can free-range them all together without any problems. I have in the past, but also had those new turkey hens (who've been sold/ran away), who killed them, even though they had been fine for weeks with everyone who's down there now. Dumb bronze turkeys, HATE those things! I'll never, ever go with any regular bronzes again!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Get shed of a couple roos and the chicken fertility should go up. They WILL fight too much to breed :/ Roosters are dumb, make some "dumb soup" :lol:

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
So, if you used a couple of roos, it could be dumb and dumber soup?

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Lol. They each have their own section of the yard and don't fight too much. I do need to do something with that blue barred ameraucana though. He's the lowest roo, not counting the cornish roo, who isn't breeding. He gets beat up by everyone, even the turkeys hate the poor guy, lol. I just hate to butcher, because he'd be a nice addition to a flock and wouldn't make much of a meal.

Latest posts