Bettacreek - New home? Plus a pic of some of the ladies here

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Cool idea for your yearly planner. But, what is an amphibian harvest? What do you do with frogs?? (I don't think we have enough frogs or turtles that live up here to actually "harvest")

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Frog legs, turtle soup, etc. :) You can harvest them with your regular fishing license, so long as you're not doing it commercially, so it won't cost any extra. Granted, it's $36 for a license here with the trout stamp. Of course, a fishing license is mandatory, IMO, lol. Now, I personally won't eat anything that comes out of the water, because it tastes yucky, but, the guys and the kiddos will eat it. It's also fun to harvest the frogs/turtles. In fact, you can catch your frogs, take the legs and use the rest for turtle bait. :)

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yesterday we found two new inhabitants to our fish tank. I had collected tadpoles, snails and newts on x-mas day to give our tank some activity (had only plants in it before). The two new inhabitants are newt larvae! I am now trying to work out a deal to get a microworm culture so that I can feed any other larvae that come about.
I also got the pricing back on some monarch butterfly eggs. I need to get some milkweed started, then I'll be ordering the eggs!
We also have been getting a little more serious about the trees and the garden. We're still in the planning stages, but at least some things are figured out. We'll be ready to order once it's warm enough. I am going to check out a few local places before ordering though.
I'm still up in the air about Issaic Hardy Kiwi. You need a male and female plant, and Gurney's doesn't specify genders. They're also $20 per plant and take 2-3 years to bear fruit. :/ All other kinds are less expensive and are sold as male or female plants, but they take much longer to bear fruit.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Today the BF had off and since it's raining, the guys went to Lowes to grab some supplies and are now almost finished building the pantry that I've been nagging for, lol. I already have everything pulled from the jam packed cabinets that I plan on putting in the pantry. I'm so excited that it's not even funny. I'm also trying to figure out the design on all of the cages that I'll be making for the birds and the bunnies. I'm fairly certain that my doe is pregnant, so we should soon have baby rabbits to raise! As far as the birds go, my button quail eggs aren't doing so well. I had 50 shipped for $35ish. Yesterday was day 8 and I have 29 possible hatchers. The rest were definate duds. Some I wasn't sure about, so they went into the group of possibles. I'm going to thank my lucky stars if I get 13 to hatch out of the 50 eggs. :/ None of the double-yolkers developed, but that wasn't much of a surprise. The coturnix eggs are still uncandled. They're only on day 2, and 18 out of 20 survived the shipping. The seller sent about 15 golden eggs and 5 browns, all jumbo birds, around 12 ounces. That's excellent for me. Both colors are easy to sex, and 12oz beats my previous "jumbos" by a long shot. I think the last ones were around 7oz.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
I'm still up in the air about Issaic Hardy Kiwi. You need a male and female plant, and Gurney's doesn't specify genders. They're also $20 per plant and take 2-3 years to bear fruit. :/ All other kinds are less expensive and are sold as male or female plants, but they take much longer to bear fruit.
Betta, I got my Issai Kiwi from Stark Bros. in MO last year. On their website it says it is self pollinating? I only got one so I hope they're right!

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
framing fowl said:
Betta, I got my Issai Kiwi from Stark Bros. in MO last year. On their website it says it is self pollinating? I only got one so I hope they're right!
It is supposed to be self-pollinating, but supposedly it's a very scant harvest. If you get a male and a female (I guess you can get any variety of hardy kiwi males to pollinate your females) you'll have a much better harvest.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
framing fowl said:
That makes sense. So now how do I know if mines a boy or girl??? :hu
Lol! I've been wondering the same thing. I do believe that most places are selling grafted females, unless they're marked specifically as males.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Today I finally finished painting the kitchen. We no longer have pink and dark green walls, just green. Looks much better now, and the counter tops finally match completely, lol. I can't believe how much fun painting is! I should pull everything back out of the pantry and paint that too, lol.