Better eating habits and kids....Need more help!!

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
After reading the above few posts, I would have to say I have a combination of free's parents approach and others who make their kids try at least one bite.

"THIS is what is available, we planned this meal a week ago. You are not allowed to complain about the food as I do not run a restaurant. Nor am I or your father short order cooks. If I ask you what you want for breakfast, say on a weekend, thats different. Otherwise, eat your sausage-biscuit and be quiet or go to your room until lunch. Your plate will be waiting in the fridge for you."

DH sometimes calls me mommy-dearest for that. I don't care. It works, and that plate never stays past dinner, much less until it molds, my kids eat too much for that. :cool:

I don't fight about the onions anymore, as they are not a nutritionally dense food, but more of a flavoring. I'm not going to pick them out for you, I like them so they won't be left out. But YOU can pick to your heart's content, as long as thats all you pull out. I check my kids plates before they scrape them into the cat bowl or garbage, so the mushrooms & cauliflower don't sneak out.

If you hit em with whatever approach when they are young and still see you somewhat on the same level as God, it works a lot better. It gets harder as they start developing their own ideas & ways of convincing you otherwise. I started when mine were very small. No gerber products, they got the same foods I eat, just without the spicy stuff I like. My kids now joyfully eat spinach, brocolli, pasta & any number of foods that are typically kid-bombs. Plus we keep cheese, raisins, carrots, apples, bananas & other kid friendly, nutritious snacks on hand. And the chips are on top of the fridge (when we even have any) where they can't see them. :lol:

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
If you hit em with whatever approach when they are young and still see you somewhat on the same level as God, it works a lot better. It gets harder as they start developing their own ideas & ways of convincing you otherwise. I started when mine were very small. No gerber products, they got the same foods I eat....
Yeah, same here. I am so glad we were into good eating back then. It's easy to give advice, but I've never had to convert older children. Maybe if we have foster children someday I will have totally changed my tune!

Latest posts