Big Ole Pot of Happy

Devonviolet

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Goat soup sounds delish!!
Oh yes! It really is!

Butchering our first 2 wethers was really hard. But, we realized that we couldn't just keep all the kids from freshening our dairy goats every Spring. We also had to remind ourselves that we bought our little homestead, so we could become self-sufficient and raise our own food. So we bit the bullet and took the boys to the butcher.

Having never eaten goat meat, we weren't sure if we were going to like it. The first few bites were a challenge, but what we learned was that we love goat meat. When it is cooked on the rare side it tastes similar to lamb, and when it is cooked well, it tastes like beef.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
M-m-m-m! All that soup sure makes my mouth water! LOVE the title, "Big Ole Pot Of Happy! It's so perfect, 'cause a big bowl of hot soup on a cold Winter's day sure does make me happy!

We had a big bowl of goat soup for dinner last night. The day before DH had slow cooked a leg of goat in the crock pot all day, with onion, garlic, celery & carrots.

Last night he heated the broth, including the veggies. Then he used the immersion blender to incorporate the veggies into the broth, which thickened it somewhat. Then, he added salt & a couple Tbsp of Arrowroot to the broth, blended it again and reheated it, stirring until thickened a bit more, making it more like a stew.

Finally he added chunks of goat meat & served. OMG! It was amazing!!!

ETA: OOPS! I forgot a crucial ingredient in this yummy soup! DH also added 2 cups of cooked Black Beans, that I had saved in the freezer. That gave the soup a great flavor & texture. He added that when he was using the immersion blender.

We need PICS! No pictures - it didn't happen.:)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Butchering our first 2 wethers was really hard.
It is hard the first time. But, it is delish! My favorite way to cook it is in the crock pot with a bottle of red wine and lots of garlic and rosemary. Oh my!

We haven't butchered many goats - people keep wanting to give me money for them so I give in and sell - but I've got two ear-marked to be butchered. One I can probably do anytime now, or more likely when the weather is more cooperative. The other is a young wether and I might let him go a little longer, he's still kinda small.

Devonviolet

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My favorite way to cook it is in the crock pot with a bottle of red wine and lots of garlic and rosemary. Oh my!
Mmm! That sounds yummy! I hadn't thought of using Rosemary. DUH!!! I have lots of it & love cooking with it.

I used to make Beef Burgandy, with lots of garlic & mushrooms. Since then, I have discovered that the sulfites, in the wine, give me migraines. So, I don't drink wine anymore. But I will definitely be adding rosemary next time!