Bison?

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Got a pound of ground bison. What to do with it??

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
EAT IT and revel in the fact you were able to get it :lol:

Bacon swiss cheese burgers, taco soup, bisony lasagna, chili. Dang, now I'm hungry.

Really, you can use it for anything you would use ground beef.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Anything you would use ground beef for. The flavor is stronger and the texture is finer.

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Anything you would use ground beef for. The flavor is stronger and the texture is finer.
Well that was my question: does it need to be handled differently? Does it cook leaner (game meat usually does). I know it can go in anything I would use for ground beef, but I was hoping ya'll would stop drooling on my keyboard and give me some ideas of what works better with the stronger flavor. :lol:

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've not done bison YET, but with gameier(?) flavored meat I'd use it with lots of spices & stuff to offset the stronger taste. Like meatloaf, speghetti, tacos, etc.
Though I would probably try it plain just to see if the taste was appealing, even if just a pinch. Then decide how to prepare it. Good luck & let us know the outcome.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I REALLY don't like gamey meat, and I love bison, so it mustn't be gamey at all. The best way to describe it is.....delicious! It has a "meatier" taste to it. More like the young steers my father raised when I was a kid. Dark, lean, and flavorful. You don't need to disguise it IMO.

Today's CAFO'd beef has little flavor or color to it. Bison is on the lean side but not tough. It is all we eat for burgers now. I also use it for other things, like in spaghetti sauce, chili, lasagna, meatloaf, etc, but only when I can't get grass-fed ground beef, which is cheaper than bison. We like to eat bison as burgers so we can taste it.

Go for it. You won't be disappointed. It will be different from storebought hamburger, but I think you will find it to be a major improvement.

redux

Off to other pastures
Reaction score
I got bison steaks at the supermarket recently and they were delicious. Tender, beefy tasting. Yummy.