black and brown bugs with antena

Laureli

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We have black and brown insects that are making me quite nervous. While I am pretty certain they are not cockroaches, I am certain our crazy landlady will see one one day and FLIP out saying that we brought cockroaches in the house. I just saw one coming out of the bathroom and I trapped it under a small cup and then got some tissue to pick it up fast. I have been able to catch most everyone seen. I saw a few more in the kitchen other times. They appear to have a slightly flat body and I think that they are brown with black ends, but they could be the other way around. over the past month, I have seen maybe 7 or 8? Maybe a few more. I am pretty certain they are getting a little bigger, but it could be me stressin over it. We are in the country. We bought 3 ~ 50 pounds of potatoes and canning jars which were in storage. These items were purchased in separate locals and the potatoes were canned up or dehydrated over the course of a few days. We have a full basement that has been damp due to lots and lots of rain, and these insects have been seen in the kitchen and bathroom, but still I am wondering where they are coming from. I found one in an old cardboard box that had canning jars in it. I am trying to remember to take a picture, but they freak me out and I catch and kill.

Can anyone help?:hu

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'm wondering if it's some kind of beetle. If you can get one in a jar, maybe I can help you ID it by having you answer some questions. The first thing I'd need to know is what the wings are like, are them membranous (like on a dragonfly), or hard and leathery?

Laureli

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Ok. Piedmont, NC is where I live. and I am going on a "bug" hunt. :weee
can tell you that it doesn't seem to have any wings. I think, if I listened closely enough, it would crunch when it was squashed. The antennae are two single long "hairs". Kept dreaming of this insect all night... need to just be on the lookout and get one in a jar.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Do they go straight out, or curl back around the body? Depending on what insect it is, it may be an immature one. Not all of them have wings. And, while rare, there are even adults that have no wings.

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
might be palmetto bugs.....moving around the country

how big are they?

if they are about 1 1/2 - 2 inches they are palmetto bugs

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
elijahboy said:

how big are they?

Palmetto bug is just another name for one of the larger breed of cockroaches! When they are full adults 1.5-2 inches, they quit acting like roaches [hiding away in dark places] they are fixed on reproduction and to do that they have to find mates so they quit hiding and come out where they can be seen. My cat loves to play with them when they are in that stage. He kills them but does not eat them.
I can't rule out roaches but the NC Peidmont produces a lot of bugs in the moist spring.

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
all these fricking cats in this neighborhood and still a million palmetto bugs....im gathering all these cats from my neighbors and sending them your way....make sure your cat teaches them what they should be doing.....

yes....i know when its about to rain....when you see more than 3 palmetto bugs in the house

and these nasty things "USUALLY" start flying in june but because of the warm winter i got lucky enough to find out the will fly a month earlier.

~gd said:
elijahboy said:

how big are they?

Palmetto bug is just another name for one of the larger breed of cockroaches! When they are full adults 1.5-2 inches, they quit acting like roaches [hiding away in dark places] they are fixed on reproduction and to do that they have to find mates so they quit hiding and come out where they can be seen. My cat loves to play with them when they are in that stage. He kills them but does not eat them.
I can't rule out roaches but the NC Peidmont produces a lot of bugs in the moist spring.

Laureli

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I feel like I have been looking a America's Most wanted in "bug" pictures, but have yet to find the one like my very own. Thank you all for keeping with me on this. I am so creeped out now, but I am looking out for the critters. My husband works 2nd shift, so I will look after dd goes to bed. I believe the antennae are hairlike, coming back toward the body. Honestly, I have looked at so many pics, I hope my description is accurate. :)

Latest posts