Black hose solar water heater for shower only works great.

EcoWorrier

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I have been getting good results for a black hose water heater. Just put one up on the roof and enjoy hot water. Price $50 US.

The heater is shower only for an Eco project cottage. Not drinking.

However ... as the night comes along my water cools down.

What container should I store the water in so that I can enjoy the hot water into the night?

Thanks everyone.

johnElarue

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sounds good,

try an insulated picnic cooler with spigot. I did something similar this fall when our bath was being fixed, not super warm the next morning however, but if you add a kettle of boiling water it is bearable

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
What does your setup look like? Got a picture?

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The plastics of a black hose can be pretty toxic and I would not want that water on my skin.. you skin can absorb tons of chemicals and it is why they administer many different drugs that way these days

Get a certified hose for drinking from, and paint it black.

EcoWorrier

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Mackay said:
The plastics of a black hose can be pretty toxic and I would not want that water on my skin.. you skin can absorb tons of chemicals and it is why they administer many different drugs that way these days

Get a certified hose for drinking from, and paint it black.
Fair enough. I will look into that.

However same problem as above.

EcoWorrier

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
What does your setup look like? Got a picture?
No, it's a hard to get to place.

Basically it is a 50m length of hose wrapped around the roof that is (right now) attached to the hot water inlet of the shower. It gets great hot water, but loses heat pretty quickly.

Silver Poni

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I don't understand what black water hose you all are referring to as being toxic. We use a black water pipe (hose) that comes up from our well to the pump and in 25 years we haven't suffered any problems. Animals don't die here from sickness, we seldom are ever sick and the water tastes great.

Am I not understanding what type of black water pipes or hoses you are talking about?

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Silver Poni said:
I don't understand what black water hose you all are referring to as being toxic. We use a black water pipe (hose) that comes up from our well to the pump and in 25 years we haven't suffered any problems. Animals don't die here from sickness, we seldom are ever sick and the water tastes great.

Am I not understanding what type of black water pipes or hoses you are talking about?
I am assuming that they are talking about the black irrigation hose, which is not neccessarily intendet for potable water use. In which case it is made of different and possibly toxic material.

Silver Poni

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Ah, well, that makes more sense.
I had wanted to make this for our place and wasn't sure which black water line to use but DH won't let me put anything on the roof of the house. It is full sun all the time. I thought it would be terrific except on cold cloudy days.