Black plastic mulch

Maschil

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hello. I am wondering where you all get your black plastic mulch.... Im looking for atleast 4,000 ft by 4ft.... Thanks

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You might want to check some growers' supply sites. The pick-your-own strawberry farm in my area uses black plastic on a ridge, with the berries planted in it.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I suggest grower's supply places, too. They have the kind of poly sheeting that can handle the UV rays from the sun. The home improvement stores sell construction type of sheeting and it gets brittle in the sun and shreds in the wind after only a month or two. Of course the ag type poly is more expensive.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Don't use it here but Peaceful Valley carry it and FarmTek should, too.

We get free sawdust from hubby's work and are using it over layers of cardboard for mulch in garden pathways and use layers of newspaper covered with shredded leaves or straw in garden beds. A bit more work than plastic mulch but much easier on the wallet, for us. ;)

Maschil

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Dawn419 said:
Don't use it here but Peaceful Valley carry it and FarmTek should, too.

We get free sawdust from hubby's work and are using it over layers of cardboard for mulch in garden pathways and use layers of newspaper covered with shredded leaves or straw in garden beds. A bit more work than plastic mulch but much easier on the wallet, for us. ;)
yes i have been using card board... and i prefer that route.....i need to find another source for alot of them... if i do that i wont need black plastic, and! i would see any grass inside my garden. LOL

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Try looking in stores for empty boxes. As long as they're not colored, you can break them down and use them.

Maschil

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
Try looking in stores for empty boxes. As long as they're not colored, you can break them down and use them.
yah going to ask the dollar store if i can have a lifetime supply...

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Convenience stores are another great place to get free cardboard boxes. Just ask one of the store clerks about them and they'll probably set a bunch aside for you.

When I worked at the Texaco, back in TN, I always had college students asking for boxes...either for making a move or for use in the community garden. :cool:

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I get mine from a place called Glacier Valley. It's a mile or 2 long, but I just get a roll to last for years.