Black walnut hulls

ChickenPotPie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hmmm. Interesting thread. :)

I would follow the advice of the recipe authors if you can't find any answers about tincturing time. Not that I know anything about those things but you don't want to burn your hair off or anything. :p

I might go out to the orchard today with the kids to check on the persimmons and see if we can find any walnuts, too. We live on a very old property. It's a cattle ranch now but it used to be a large walnut orchard. There are still some English walnut trees going but Black walnut root stock is used for them so some of the old trees have lost their English-ness and reverted back to Black so we have a combo here. :) Because of the small nut meat and words of how difficult they are to crack, I had written off the Blacks until my MIL mentioned how wonderful Black walnuts are in ice cream.

Maybe, I'll give them a try in some recipes and go look them up in my herbs book, as well. :)

The only thing I know about walnuts (from the original owner's great, great, grand daughter) is that you must lay out walnuts to dry (or cure?) for a week or two before you eat them or they might burn your mouth. Hmmm.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I think you will be surprised about the staining power of the hulls....spoken from someone who used to have to go to school for weeks/months with walnut stains on hands and shoes. :/

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My mother and I this last week hulled almost 4 bushel of walnuts. The hulls were allready black and very messy, nothing rubber gloves wouldn't help. We decided while we were hulling them they would make an awesome all over tanning spray or lotion, :sick ...not that I would volunteer for any trials! The nuts is what we were after. We will let them dry and then crack the shells and pick out all the nuts and put them in the freezer for further use. We LOVE black walnuts for baking. In my opinion, there is nothing no better.

kristenm1975

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wow, good point about what else might be colored while attempting to dye my hair. :rolleyes: I'm pretty bad with that even using the simple kits. Heaven knows how bad it would be with something more permenant like the black walnut!

Nice idea about the tanner!! May be a touch too dark though. A Jamaican tan? Nice. Suddenly Jamaican? Hmm, my Norwegian parents may be confused.

buttrcup6109

Frugally lurking
Reaction score
I recently had the same experience from shucking pecans from the tree in my neighbors yard. I've tried all the stuff they say but nothing worked. So today, I decided to use peroxide and it worked. I took a pumice stone, bar soap and peroxide and scrubbed. I used a hard bristle toothbrush for the nails. At least it worked a little. They've gone from black to yellow! Fingers are a little sore from the scrubbing though, so take it easy. ;) good luck.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I recently had the same experience from shucking pecans from the tree in my neighbors yard. I've tried all the stuff they say but nothing worked. So today, I decided to use peroxide and it worked. I took a pumice stone, bar soap and peroxide and scrubbed. I used a hard bristle toothbrush for the nails. At least it worked a little. They've gone from black to yellow! Fingers are a little sore from the scrubbing though, so take it easy. ;) good luck.
That's some good information to know! Welcome to the forum, really glad that you joined. Why don't you ramble on over to the new member section and tell us a little about yourself?

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
When we were kids we would rub black walnut green hull juice on ring worms which cured them right up. I've been picking up pecans from the back yard but the squirrels have got most of them. Never thought about shooting the squirrels for pre shelled ones. Of course we can literally see the sheriff's office from our front door. All the black walnuts on the ground disappeared. I think the neighbor got them.

cabinguy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Check this out you can use black walnuts to catch worms and fish

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks @cabinguy! I like this. We have two black walnut trees, and I'd love to be able to collect worms for my raised beds, and for fishing. We'll use this!

Latest posts