Blackberries and blueberries.

DebFred

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just wondering if it is feasible to grow blackberries, raspberries, and blueberries in Ohio? I know my Mamaw and Papaw had a blackberry patch in Kentucky. I was thinking I could plant some around the perimeter of our yard. I know they are brambles, instead of bushes. Wonder what you all think?

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
for acidity for the blueberries they LOVE pine needle mulch!!!

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
uh, YEAH!!!! :D

No problems what so ever. I have a blueberry patch and a raspberry patch here in NE Ohio. We also pick wild berries from the woods.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
YES BUT keep in mind that brambles have a huge tendency to SPREAD. In open areas in woods they will fill a clearing in two years! once established they are hard to get rid of since any bit of root left in the soil will resprout. Birds drop seeds just about everywhere. and roots can run for yards sending up sprouts every 12-18 inches. with the thornes manual control is tough and many plant killers are ineffective on them. Some mixes do work but tend to poision the soil so that other plants will not grow there for a couple of years. Blueberries are not brambles and are an entirely different story they will spread by seed dropping but are easy to control. stick blueberries where ever you want to but think twice before planting brambles. ~gd

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It's true about blackberry brambles easily getting out of hand. I live in a rural situation and I would still be careful about starting a patch of them - it would mean a commitment to tending the patch ever after. Might be worth it if you really like blackberries.

I was visiting a friend in town, just two days ago. He has a sizable back yard with very little lawn but with some veggies and decorative shrubs. As we walked along in it, he was stopping to pull out young blackberry vines before they got larger, tougher, and harder to uproot. These plants were self established, from seeds as far as we knew. My friend didn't want to have to tend them later on, like in a year or two.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i have a large wooded area on my property, and thought about planting rasberrys in the woods- they can grow and spread all they want. but would they need much light?

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Blackberries do spread easily, but that is sure no reason to not get them. You will then be able to expand your patch easily with no costs at all, and produce lots of fruit to eat and use.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
the funny farm6 said:
i have a large wooded area on my property, and thought about planting rasberrys in the woods- they can grow and spread all they want. but would they need much light?
Evidently a fair amount, they are quick to claim a bright spot when a tree falls or there is a fire. We are mostly tall long neddled pines and they shade them out in a few years. I don't know how they would do in a woods that drop their leaves every fall.~gd

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
as a sie note MAINE has some of the most impressive blueberries, if you can gro them in maine you can row em anywhere!
backberries wil also grow practically anywhere they can get enough sunlight, temps dont bother them, just protect tehm from the salt/sand road spray in winter and youll have no issues!