bleach alternative?

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Rubbing alcohol works well. When I worked the American Red Cross, we cleaned all surfaces and tools with alcohol. If it's good enough for blood borne pathogens, it oughta be good enough for the kitchen, I guess!
Use whiskey! Pour a glass, wet a cloth with soap and water or vinegar - wipe counter top, take a sip. (might as well pour hubby some as well, that'll keep him calm)
:gig

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
BBH, I will be getting some in a day or so. I will post the name.

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
Beekissed said:
Rubbing alcohol works well. When I worked the American Red Cross, we cleaned all surfaces and tools with alcohol. If it's good enough for blood borne pathogens, it oughta be good enough for the kitchen, I guess!
Use whiskey! Pour a glass, wet a cloth with soap and water or vinegar - wipe counter top, take a sip. (might as well pour hubby some as well, that'll keep him calm)
:gig
:lol: :yuckyuck

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I confess I am a bleach fan as well. :hide

HOWEVER...

I would try to educate him just a bit. The reason salmonella is so rampant in commercial birds is that often several hundred to a thousand birds can share the same processing water BEFORE that water is changed. There are even articles on the "trade journal websites" about how to handle that potentially lethal "red water". :sick

Usually when I process I just scrub everything well with good old dish soap and allow to air dry. Works for me.

Another thing to remember is that SALT is antiseptic. That is why you brine things like bacon and fish. People used to store meats by simply slicing thin and salting them. So when you soak your few birds in salt water it not only helps to draw out any blood left in the meat it also kills a few of the bad bacteria as well.

I also have another little trick I use. I put a good squeeze of citrus dish soap in my scalding water. This helps to saturate the feathers quicker, SMELLS MUCH BETTER and lifts away some of the surface dirt from my chickens skin. By the time I have them plucked, rinsed and soaked they are pretty darned clean.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bleach is an excellent disenfectant but most people use way more than is necessay.

One teaspoon of clorox to a quart of water in a spray bottle will kill it all.

I like to use Grapefruit seed extract which is an excellent disinfectant also. I use nutribiotic brand. 30 drops to quart of water will do it.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Thank you thank you thank you.

I let my husband read Polyface Farms website info the other day and explained to him that by changing the chicken's waterers 2 and sometimes 3 times daily, yes I like everything to be clean and fresh with the meaties, and by moving them to fresh grass daily they don't have time to accumulate the bacteria that is so rampant in commercial situations. I also showed him where Joel Salatin stated that after testing his birds for salmonella all these years he has NEVER had one positive result. I know what I'm getting him for xmas.....gotta get those books Bee!!!

onmyown

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
There are commercial sanitizers marketed for the food-prep industry. Don't confuse the term "sanitizer" with "disinfectant" as the latter is not intended for surfaces where food is processed. You might also tell your husband that chlorine bleach actually loses it's germ-killing potency as it sits in the Purex (or like) jug. Interestingly, it can still whiten clothes while having lost germ potency on the grocery shelf. So, you might just be making your house toxic (and you ill) while doing little to sanitize surfaces. Hope you can find a sanitizer that makes you both comfortable.