Blind hen?

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
In my journal I have written about my broody hen. She hatched out 3 chicks this last weekend. In my hurry to get her out of the rather constrictive brooder I put her and the babies into the main coop run last night, with an internal fence to, theoretically, keep the others out. Didn't work, and one of the other hens got in, and a fight ensued. When I went out this morning Hen#2 was still in there, and very eager to get back with her sisters. Mama Hen had several head wounds, and, observing her through the day, I am now almost completely convince that she is now totally blind. This next is quoted from my journal:

"After observing her for awhile I am reasonably sure that she is totally blind. You're right, DD, these things happen; but this one needn't have, if I hadn't been in such a hurry. Anyway, that is water under the bridge now. My question at the moment is, for anyone who has had a totally blind chicken, what sort of quality of life can she expect? I know a dog or cat depends more on scent that sight, but I really don't know about chickens. Is this the point where I fix up the brooder and heat lamp, put the chicks in there, and put her out of her misery? I've done it before, with a hen with a prolapse, so I know I can. I just wonder if it is necessary at this point. To set the discussion off on the right foot - my hens are basically egg layers; and for their work keeping my kitchen supplied they have a place here for as long as they are not in discomfort. They are not "pets", in that I don't carry them around, and they don't sit on my lap, but they are valued members of the community that I call my home. I can put them out of their misery, but I have no intention of taking the pragmatic view of "Oh, she isn't as productive anymore, so we can get rid of her". I know that there are some here who wouldn't have a problem with that view; I do, so please don't respond if you feel differently. I want to know if she has any hope of a decent chicken life if she is blind. Or if it is worthwhile letting her continue for the next 8 weeks or so to raise the chicks. Or if it is more humane to let her go now, and raise the chicks in the brooder. Another consideration is that her sisters spend part of most day free ranging on the property, which, I imagine, is now out of the question for her."

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I haven't had a blind chicken before but I know my daughters blind pony can and does memorize where things are in the pasture and in the yard. I would think if she were kept in the coop- maybe with another to keep her company. She might do ok.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I had a half blind hen once........but that is a long story. Hopefully, by some miracle, at least one eye is saved. My hen did pretty good.....actually she was pretty smart. She learned to improvise. I guess its possible to keep her, but it wouldn't work out for me, in my situation. Maybe I'd wait around and see for sure if she truely lost both eyes, if she had value to me.

donrae

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My first thought is to let her brood the chicks and see how she does. But then I'm thinking, a big part of momma's job is showing babies what to eat. How will she show them? Is she still finding food, does she call the babies if you put treats/grass in there?

Personally I don't as a rule keep special needs animals. My animals need to earn their keep and I don't want to spend lots of time "helping" one animal day in and day out. But, with fresh injuries, I'd wait and see how she does. Unless she's in distress/pain now? Didn't seem to be from you post.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Never had a blind chicken. However, I agree with just waiting. Check her crop regularly and watch to see if she's getting feed and water. Sometimes even the craziest stuff happens. I thought for sure my two gimps were goners, but they're doing well and making great progress!

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It is amazing how well they can heal and/or learn to cope. A couple of months ago someone on another forum was saying that she was sad because she lost the "guide hen" for her blind hen. Guess she was blind for like 4 years and this other hen stuck around her and helped her out. Not saying it will happen.... but it can. Wait and see how she does.

Andy J

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I have a blind Dominique rooster,3 years old,who fares very well for himself.He can find the food and water easily and he's very healthy and fat.He does get picked on by some of the other birds.He may be able to tell daylight from dark;but he certainly can't see when I wave my hand in front of his eyes.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, this morning things are looking more hopeful. One eye is definitely not working, but the other looks better, and she seems to be scratching and pecking with intent, rather than blindly. I more or less decided last night that if she is totally blind that I would put her out of her misery, and raise the chicks in the brooder - and use her to teach myself about butchering a chicken, as that is something I want to learn at some point. But it looks as though, with luck, that is a lesson for another time. I will keep an eye on her, and take it day by day. Things are quieter in the coop today; the other birds don't seem to be as agitated with the new, strange set up.
Thanks for the replies; I appreciate the collected knowledge that can be found on SS.

Latest posts