Blueberries are done...

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Last year, I basically lost most of my blueberries to birds- even with netting they got in and then I had the added irritation of having to go and free the little thieves.
This year I got some 8ft high T-posts and as soon as the berries started, I drove the posts in and hung netting of the posts around the berry patch. I then put another piece of netting over the top. Only got one bird that found a way in all season. Success- I win- naaa-naa-na-naa-naaa. :tongue And I could stand up without moving the netting to pick berries.
I also found out that the berries left on the bush for as long as possible are sweet as sugar.
Yesterday I rolled up the netting and stored it for next year.
Oh the self-satisfaction of having outsmarted a bunch of birds.........

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Good job! Where we pick blueberries, they have acres all fenced in with the netting. It really is quite a sight to see--all that netting. they patrol it quite frequently to make sure there are no holes in it.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Enjoy the ride, So how many did you harvest and how do you plan to use them? Will you make preserves or freeze or maybe both??

g

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
My patch is still young so most go to fresh eating- I have a large bowl of blueberries every morning. Occasionally to put in pancakes or something and I have a bit frozen.
Blue berries are healthy, take little irrigation even in my summer drought, need no fertilization. They are easy here and, if you get different varieties, you can have blueberries from June though September.
I will be having fresh blueberry dreams allllll winter.