Bottle feeding ruminants.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'm reading an interesting book right now about cattle and grass feeding that has a section on why suckling is better than bottle feeding. I didn't know the reason why until I read this, but found it surprising that they hadn't come to a conclusion on how to get around this problem.

Besides the colostrum benefits, which are well touted wisdom, the calf's head position comes into play with natural suckling. The combination of sucking and holding their heads in that "kinked" position in order to reach a teat, causes the esophageal groove to form in a calf's digestive system. This groove causes the milk to bypass the rumen and go directly to the second stomach chamber in a process called esophageal groove closure.

The rumen contains bacteria that ferment and break down the tough cellulose structure of grass, but these bacteria feed on proteins-including milk protein-that enter the rumen. Only protein excesses and the proteins released by the rumen bacteria after they die are passed down to the second stomach, where they become available to the calf.

Suckling milk in this position(kinked neck, head up) allows milk to bypass these bacteria so that all of the milk's protein is available to the calf. Feeding a calf from a bottle or a bucket doesn't cause the same effect, as the calf does not receive full esophageal closure. Consequently, a large part of the milk's protein is lost to the rumen bacteria.

My question is this: Why couldn't a person rig up a board at a smidge lower than teat height, cushion it with something so the calf isn't rubbing a hole on his head/neck, and simulate a real teat by placing the bottle or nipple bucket on the opposite side of the board at nipple height as well? Wouldn't this cause the same positioning and close the esophageal groove and thus facilitate more of the milk proteins? And wouldn't this hold true for other ruminants also?

By doing this, could one wean off a bottle calf or lamb without that bloated look that is so common in bottle babies? I think I will try this with my bottle lambs when I get them and see if it has any good effect.

Anybody out there feed bottle babies at their place and have tried this?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
if I bottle feed it is from a high position....I make the kid imitate its natural position.

so many just hold them in their arms and feed....nope, they need the position like you said.

they need to be low and drink from above like you described.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
FC, do you ever notice the whole potbellied look with your bottle babies? That's all I ever hear when I tell folks about getting bottle lambs and calves....how they don't do well and they don't make for good breeding stock, etc.

Do you notice a difference in the performance of your bottle fed stock as opposed to your regular?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh yea bottle fed do more poor than natural.

bottle fed most always will get the bloat looking tummy....it is hard to avoid actually.

Also it is very wise to feed small amts at many intervals like the momma does. if you notice she will stop, her kids will hit the sack, and she gives them only a little time down there, and she moves on.....people have a tendency to fill up a 16 or 20 oz. soda bottle and feed them a full bottle. it is too much and then the kids inhale fast. I pull the bottle and stop...then finish feeding. if they suck too much and too fast alot of air goes in also.

so key is a little, alot of times per day. best rule and their tummys can handle that natural situation better.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'm going to have real trouble feeding my lambs if Eli has shipped out, because I have to work! I could always make a pen in the back of my van and take them with me, huh? :p :lol:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh the bottle babies do a little more poor, but I know you can get a great animal out of it also. just that nothing can imitate the natural order ya know.

well if they are older, they don't require as much attention. if it is a newborn, then truly it means a ton of feedings all thru the day into the night. what a pain believe me...LOL

but if like 8 weeks and older, it doesn't require alot of milk at all. About 8 weeks is when the milk stomach is turning into the grass stomach....so they just require less and less milk.

you will see a momma goat giving her kids alot more nursing time when younger....but as they age she will pull the teat faster and faster from them cause she knows they don't need it.

what age are you getting them again?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Brand new.... :/ I love the thought of it, but Eli will have to stick around long enough to do it for me! I'm sure he will be thrilled! :rolleyes:

If I wait until they are older the fella is going to charge me $100 each, if I get them as bottlers, $25. I want the bargain! I also want the imprinting that goes on, as I plan to work closely with these sheep and turn them into mama's girls. Makes for easier everything if they follow you everywhere! :lol:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea if brand new then they shouldn't go like 8 hrs without being fed if that is how long you work. I mean, it can be done of course if you have too....but they do best on a feeding schedule.

I wouldn't take them with you. When you expose those lambs to other areas with other possible diseases etc. you could be inviting trouble. they acclimate to their own pasture very well and if moved, etc. they could do poorly on you being so young...there defenses are not up to snuff yet.

yea new babies will definitely imprint on you and they will follow you just like momma! :)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I was teasing about taking them with me! ;) :lol: Poor things wouldn't know what in the world had happened to them, getting joggled around in the van all day, stopping and moving....I'd have lamb diarrhea and vomit all over the vehicle! :lol:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh man that would be one stinky vehicle..........hey you would be surprised how many people would take them cruising..LOL

what people have in their cars nowadays is amazing..HA HA

Guard lamb in the car!