Bought 55 Gal Water Barrel...how do I treat the water ?

JoeOxfordCT

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hi All !

First post here...I wandered over from the Backyard Chickens website. I was going to post the question there and hope for the best when I saw the links at the bottom of the page.

I purchased a 55 gallon water container from Emergecy Essentials:
http://beprepared.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_WS B700_A_name_E_[[ProductNameURL]]

I haven't filled it yet. I am trying to figure out how to treat the water. The website has purifiers & tablets for treating small amounts of water but I was looking for some to put in the barrel that would treat the entire 55 gallons ? Or is that how it works ? Fill the barrel with regular tap water and just treat the water when you use it ??

Thanks,

J.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This is for you when there is an emergency? I would boil the water when you use it, in a kettle plugged in, on a stove, or over a fire. Boiling it should do the trick to rid it of any nasties.

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Further down, you will find an area for emergency preparedness. There is a thread on treating water.

Welcome!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
welcome
yea on the site there is info on how to treat the water.
but also the purifier tablets will let you know how much to use, like take 10 gallons and put in another container and add X tablets to treat...etc....they will tell you....but boiling is sure important before drinking.

also the info on the how to store water and treat was very interesting. thanks for letting me read up on this...site had good info.

JoeOxfordCT

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
lupinfarm said:
This is for you when there is an emergency? I would boil the water when you use it, in a kettle plugged in, on a stove, or over a fire. Boiling it should do the trick to rid it of any nasties.
Hi, yes, the water would be for just those times when we lose power.....drinking, cooking, flushing a toilet or two, minor bathing....

We have both a wood stove which heats the house as well as the gas stove we cook on so we have those bases covered....

Sorry....I'll look for that thread on treating water....

Thanks everyone !!! :D

Latest posts