Bought too many potatoes

GardenWeasel

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Found a good sale and though my intentions were good I did not do what I needed to. Soo I am looking for an awesome potato soup recipe that could be frozen in portion sizes. I have made the ones in my recipes and have not been thrilled with any of them.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Why not boil the potatoes and freeze them. That way they're quick to add to soup, and you won't risk making a big batch of soup that you don't really like.

Plus, it's SUPER EASY to make mashed potatoes that way. Thaw potatoes, open bag, add cream, melted butter, salt, close bag, and smush the potatoes. Dump into a serving bowl.

ellie_may12

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I do the same thing when I see 10# for $2...I can't help myself! Our local grocery normally sells them for $6 for 10#.

Anyway, do you want a low cal or high cal potato soup recipe?

Low cal... Boil 1# of peeled potatoes with one onion and 32 oz. chicken broth. Add one package of dry country gravy mix. Top with bacon bits, and cheese to serve.

High cal...

Boil peeled potatoes and onion with just enough water to cover.

Add Velveeta and whole milk (or heavy cream, if you are my mama) and melt.

Serve! Yum!

I love the idea of cooking them up and using them for mashed potatoes, too! I may try that next time I hit a sale!

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks for these ideas. I love potato soup, and I really love the idea of boiling and freezing them. Seems I often want mashed potatoes when I don't have the time to make them so I am really glad to see these. Now I can't wait for the next time 10# is on sale for $2. :)

eta: I have a great cream potato soup with cheese and ham recipe (at least I think I wrote it down) but I never tried to freeze it AND I developed it at high altitude so it might not work out as well at lower altitudes.

GardenWeasel

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Great ideas and never thought to freeze them boiled for later mashed. Made the soup with chicken broth and onion, added a little bacon and skim milk and a package of beet greens from the freezer. Will top it with some cheddar. Wish I had heavy cream and Velveeta. Would like that recipe for ham and potato soup, if ya could dig it up. Any more ideas?