Bowhunters?

plucky

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hubby finally talked me into going to a couple of the local bow shops, and after getting measured and all that, walked out having ordered a 50 lb. PSE Chaos with all the bells and whistles. It should be in next week. i've wanted to try bow hunting (for deer and turkey) for a while now, and I'm very excited, but also very intimidated!

Any bowhunters here know of good bowhunting websites and/or magazines? There's just SO much information out there...like I said, I'm intimidated at learning what looks to be a whole new obsession...

:hide

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
We bowhunt....or rather, the fellas in my family do and when they are grown and gone, I will be using their bows to procure my own deer. It ain't tough, Plucky! It does require some practice and pride in your skill to efficiently dispatch a deer with one, so I encourage finding a good mentor if you are going hunting with one.

The magazines are some helpful but, as with anything else~like chickens, for example~one just has to get out there and do it! A good bow shop can help you determine your draw length and tell you how to zero in your sights and reading up can tell you plenty about stance, anchor points, bow releases and such...but you will probably do the most of your learning through trial and error~just like anything else! :p

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
There has to be a forum out there for bow hunters. :D

I recently picked up a left-handed compound bow on ebay. $3 for the bow and $15 to ship it...LOL

I had archery class in high school. I am picking up equipment here and there. My local Walmart is closing out their bow and arrow gear and I have been buying a few shafts every paycheck.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Well, be careful with your arrow purchase. Some compounds take a fiberglass arrow, some aluminum. You can use wood but most have gotten away from these for the faster, lighter or faster and heavier metal or fiberglass arrows.

It will make a difference in your accuracy and your power and also with the kind of broadhead you will be using. No sense in buying arrows that you can't use, even in practice, if your bow performs better with another kind.

It gets a little costly, but always practice with the kind of arrow that you will be hunting with...as this is the best way to insure accuracy in the field.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Tony used to bowhunt and wants to get into it again. He is buying his friends bow to start with.

Bass Pro shops have a great bow hunting department......about a month ago Tony dragged me all thru that dept...LOL

he was fascinated with the new bows on the market. so different from his old time bow. he can't wait to get his bow and start practicing etc.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
My mom has a nice bow and has got a deer before. She has not got one this season.....yet.

plucky

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Some friends of ours are planning a target-shooting contest for next Saturday (in honor of my introduction to the sport), so I'm sure I'll get all kinds of tips and opinions. That is, ASSUMING the shop is able to get the bow in this week...then of course I have to go in for the set-up.

I'm so NOT patient when it comes to waiting on "new toys", and also not very good at dealing with the guilt of spending money! However, hubby assures me that we're celebrating paying off the tractor in 1.5 years instead of 5...so I guess I'll take it!

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I shoot a Martin Moab here.;) Got my first doe this winter...a 3 legged one!

plucky

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Congrats! A 3-legged one? Birth defect or injury? Probably a good cull...she'd likely have had a hard time this winter.

I'm still waiting on my bow...arg. Factory is backed up, so the shop told me it'd be at least another week. Bow season here doesn't end until the end of Feb, but even if I practice really hard, I don't think I'll be familiar enough with the bow or good enough to actually go hunting. I think I'll just call a truce with the deer this time and see 'em next fall!
:thumbsup