Boy do I love my LGD's!

peteyfoozer

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I had to separate the rams from the ewes and lambs, so I put all the goats, ewes, lambs and one cow/calf pair in a different pasture, which left the 2 rams in a 20 acre pasture alone. The Maremmas normally are free to go wherever they want on the 250,000 acres here, and don't travel far, just setting their perimeter and patrolling it at night. They stay in the sheep pasture by day for the most part but can go out front if they hear something. The dogs work together and if you see one, you also find the other.

There are some folks on the ranch right now that would run over them if they go out front, so I wanted to keep them confined. I locked them in a corral last nite. I was a little worried about predators, but I couldn't risk injury to the dogs.

This morning, I found they had climbed the fences...one had gone to the chickens and lambs in the south pasture and the other was keeping an eye on the rams in the pasture out back, to the east. Now THAT is a work ethic!

IMG_0787.jpg

here are some pics of them from last week

IMG_1381.jpg

IMG_1130.jpg

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
the first pic is adorable....

the look on that face says

how mad are you?

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It's great when our animals, especially our working animals, exceed our expectations! :thumbsup :thumbsup for both of them!

peteyfoozer

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Before they came here, we had a cougar attack a Border Collie right in front of the house and a bobcat trying to get in the chicken pen by day. I haven't SEEN a predator in 2 years since they came here, except for the owls and hawks that have unsuccessfully tried to cross the "no fly zone". LOL

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
All your animals are beautiful! What wonderful dogs they are! You really can't help but love a dog that sure of his duty, despite what we may want, and so dedicated to the job....worth their weight in gold. :love

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My dogs are the same way with our chickens and rabbits.

I would have a talk with whoever your worried about running them over. Your property, your dogs, your rules. People, mostly kids of friends, have finally come to realize that no they can't ride the horses or carry around the rabbits.

peteyfoozer

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Actually, it's not our property. We are just ranch hands and it was the boss' dad I was worried about as he won't slow down, he's hit their dogs here as well. It was just for a weekend, thankfully! :th