Boyfriend killed his first rabbit....now what...

Nikki28

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Justin went out this morning on his first hunting trip (with a buddy who could show him the ropes) He shot and killed a buck Jack Rabbit at about 9am this morning. The boys dressed him out nicely and I put him in a tub of salt water at about 11:30am.
So if I leave him in there until 4pm and then stew him for a few hours should he come out okay? I've never done this before and really don't want to mess up his first kill. Thanks!

:bun

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
With a wild rabbit, it is recommended to do a long, slow liquid cook. Be careful about how you do it, cuz if you cook this wrong-it can taste horrible.

There is a right way to cook wild rabbit, ( and a wrong way). first, yes, it's good, let the rabbit rest several hours. When picking up the meat, it should bend real easy. If it does not, it hasn't rested enough.

The first thing when cooking a wild rabbit, IMO is to brown it. So, put together some flour, with S&P, shake the pieces in the flour mixture, then brown in hot grease (butter, cooking oil, bacon fat etc) Just do this ong enough to brown the peices to seal in the juices. Next, in the same pan, you can add liquid, vegies etc, lid, and slow cook it at minimum temp for several hours.

The easiet way I know of, and it is delish too, is to , after searing it is to pour either a can of coke, or a bottle of beer over top and let it slow cook for a coupla hours. For the last 1/2 hour, remove lid.

Nikki28

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Just an update: The rabbit came out great! We had some friends over and they loved it. Of course Justin (aka the mighty hunter) was proud. I was just happy that I didn't ruin it. I'm glad I could get the much needed help on here!

Thanks again!

Edited to add: this was my first time eating rabbit in general so the whole experience was new. :)

eggs4sale

Lush who can't use a cheese grater
Reaction score
The one time we killed a wabbit, it was chock-full o' worms.

Glad yours turned out so well!

Nikki28

Power Conserver
Reaction score
eggs4sale said:
The one time we killed a wabbit, it was chock-full o' worms.

Glad yours turned out so well!
Oh nasty! :sick
I'm really glad that didn't happen this time! We have our own meat rabbits so once they start reproducing we shouldn't have any surprises with rabbit meat ......... I hope so anyway.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Miss gave you great info.

yes the key is browing it definitely.

slow cook is best and yes it is yummy!

I trade rabbit for sausage (I have hogs and make whole hog sausage and at the market I just trade) easiest for me..LOL

rabbit is a great addition for meals...just a good change.