Bragging time!!!!!!!

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
DS is in the fourth grade and dyslexic. When we pulled him out of school he was making straight F's in every subject. The teachers excuse was that he wasn't trying. He would cry when he had to go to school and it was just not going good at all. So the other day I got the results of the kids standardized tests that he took after a couple of months of homeschooling. Anyway his test results had him scoring level with his grade in reading. That was amazing to me since he was reading a year and a half below grade in public school. Anyway what really freaked me out was that he scored in the 85 percentile in math. He scored 7th grade 3rd month, which means he did better than 85 percent of the nation and that he ranked level with a 7th grade student in the 3rd month of school. DS also scored above average in the rest of his subjects. :bun

DD scored above average in all of her subject with math being her weakest. Of course she has always done good in school so it really wasn't as much of a suprise. She scored about 5th grade 8th month in reading which was ds's weakest. She is in the 3rd grade so I was really proud of her too.

I SOOOOO wanted to wave those scores in front of DS'S ex-teachers face!!!! :woot for homeschooling!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
It DEFINATELY makes a difference for kids with learning issues! I love homeschooling!

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
Way to go!!!!
I home schooled my youngest for a few years. It was the best thing I ever did with her.

Today's teachers are not teaching in a way for the kids to learn. They are teaching just to pass tests. It is a sad state of affairs that our school systems are in. We live in one of the best countries but our schools are some of the worst. Other countries laugh at our educational system. I had a conversation with a friend about her child the other day. "A" is in ap math. All but 3 out of a class of 15 are failing the class. Now tell me that it isn't the teacher. These are the top math students in the school. They should not be failing but they are. Maybe the teacher should change her approach.

I congratulate you on caring. A job well done. If you can teach your dyslexic son why can't a teacher? My answer, they don't care.

DISCLAIMER: Not all teachers fall into this category. There are some genuine good teachers that really care and are trying to make a difference. Kudos to them and the fight they fight against the system. THEY don't get paid enough for all the trouble, frustration and heart ache they deal with on a daily basis. I would not want to be in their shoes.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
I think I'd copy the test results and have the school put them into his permanent file. You never know when that might go in your son's favor.

Congratulations to you and your son! I bet he feels grand. :thumbsup

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
keljonma said:
I think I'd copy the test results and have the school put them into his permanent file. You never know when that might go in your son's favor.

Absolutely. You will need them if you ever decide to send him back. I had DD tested in the spring and fall and those results were put in the school file. She did go back for HS because of the social aspect and the test helped with placing her in her classes.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
keljonma said:

He does! And he has so much more confidence now. No more crying before school and begging not to go. Sometimes I will get up in the morning and he will be already doing his schoolwork.
I hadn't thought about taking copies to the school for his records. I keep a copy of their stuff here, but that sounds like a much better idea.

And don't even get me started on his last teacher!

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
That is so awesome!! You should be very proud!!!

Latest posts