Brand New to you but not self sufficient ways.

grovetucky

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Found your site by googling for "how to smoke meat the old fashioned way." I got some good info and went on to read some of the other articles. Everything in here is right down my alley! I heat my house with wood I cut and split myself. I raise my own chickens for meat and the best tasting eggs in Ohio. I have 20 chicks that just hatched yesterday. I have a small flock of ducks that I'm still trying to figure out, lol. I have Sir Loin the cow that is spoiled as best I can for his short life here on our small farm. (Come November we will make our apologies and make it quick.) I can call it a farm now because we finally talked my father into selling us 5.5 acres adjacent to our .8 acres and now we have some elbow room, YeAH! I just bought a pig 2 days ago. I also raise some of the best working line German Shepherds in the U. S. of A. I am proud of that. Any questions, comments, or suggestions on anything are encouraged and appreciated. Such as how do you calm a 200 pound Kiko buck goat down when he is in a mood to tear up the fence or you if you get in his way? I was too late for the fence but I eventually caught him, lol. Anyway out of time for now but I'll be back to chat and read and learn. Thanks for an interesting site.
Roger.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Hey Roger! :welcome I hope you do stick around and enjoy your visit. Your place sounds very interesting, and I love the steers name "Sir Loin" made me laugh :lol:

Avalon1984

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:welcome from West Michigan Roger! Sounds like you have some interesting tales to share! Don't forget to start your own journal so we can all enjoy your journey to self sufficiency. Don't forget to add many pictures too :drool

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Welcome!

Our last 3 pigs were loin, sausage, and chops. Lol

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My buck was just a pigmy and he got to be too much. Can't imagine if he weighed 200LBs. And after a while, it looked like we didn't smell him as much as we used to, but I think its cuz we just got used to him. You'd probably need a special fortress for him.....like King Kong.
I have enough property to do a lot of things, but its not attached to my home lot, so no telling what would be going on. I'd have no way to secure it.
But I tell you what.......bad times come and I lose my job, this lifestyle becomes my only job and then I'm going to dive in head first.
Happy Farming and welcome.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hello and Welcome to the forum! :frow

Glad you found us and am looking forward to hearing more about your place!

grovetucky

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
thanks for all the welcomes and kind words. I just wanted to tell a quick story about Sir Loin's walk on the wild side. Yesterday morning we got up as usual and went to the front door to let our dogs out to do their morning thing and what do we see but our 600 pound Holstein steer wanting to come inside for a visit! My wife entertained him by scratching his head between his horns and letting him lick her arm clear up to the elbow while I went and got shoes on and grabbed a dog lead and captured him with it. Wasn't hard he just wanted more scratching! I swear I will never have another cow without leash training it when it is young. He leads better than some of my dogs do! He did require several pit stops for a quick snack attack on the clover and one attempt on my potato patch but 5 minutes later we were back in his pasture. I tell you one thing he is going to test my emotions in the fall when it comes time to do the deed. I really like that cow! Never a dull moment.......

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
:welcome And that is why I don't name any animal I'm going to eat! I thought about naming some roos Broiler, Roaster, etc once time but changed my mind.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
If I don't name them then the kids do! And it is harder to butcher pigglet, tigger, and pooh than sausage, loin, or chops. Kinda keeps it perspective!