Bread emergency -Help!

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My 20 year old bread machine committed suicide today by plunging off the counter. I think it was getting ready for the fermentation cycle. I'd like to save the dough and finish it up manually for tonight's dinner. How do I get it to rise? Aren't I supposed to put it someplace warm? Should I cover it? And then I just punch it down and stick it in a loaf pan? I havne't found good directions yet in my time of sorrow.

Anyone have a bread machine brand they love? At least now I have soemthing to put on my Christmas list :(

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
You can put the dough into an oiled bowl and set in the oven to rise. Yeast like a warm humid atmosphere, so If you can add a pan of hot steamy water to the bottom of the oven it will help.
Then punch down, put into your loaf pans and then let rise again before baking.

Oh yeah, you can cover the bowl with a damp towel if you'd like...I leave mine uncovered because I always use a pan of hot water in my oven, so the surface layer of the dough does not dry out.

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, I've scraped up the remains of my bread machine and pieced it back together. It is dented and the lid has to be bent back into alignment to fit and the controls are still hanging by wires, but it seems to be working! What a trooper. It is the first model domed Welbilt -- and I guess it is, gee, well-built.

Latest posts