Bread Recipe

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I found this recipe somewhere on the iternet during my research stage. Once I started making this white bread I stopped looking. I bake 2 loaves every weekend that carries us thru the week. This is the closest thing I have found to store bought bread. My whole family loves it. (Wish I knew who to give credit to for this recipe.
AMISH WHITE BREAD
INGREDIENTS
2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
2/3 cup white sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons active dry yeast
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
6 cups bread flour
DIRECTIONS
1.In a large bowl, dissolve the sugar in warm water, and then stir in yeast. Allow to proof until yeast resembles a creamy foam.

2.Mix salt and oil into the yeast. Mix in flour one cup at a time. Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth. Place in a well oiled bowl, and turn dough to coat. Cover with a damp cloth. Allow to rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.

3.Punch dough down. Knead for a few minutes, and divide in half. Shape into loaves, and place into two well oiled 9x5 inch loaf pans. Allow to rise for 30 minutes, or until dough has risen 1 inch above pans.

4.Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes.

For the last 2 months I have experimented with this bread and discovered that if I cut sugar down to 1/4 cup sugar and add 3 tablespoons of honey it is even better. I don't like the really sweet taste that the 2/3 cup of sugar produces. But you might. I have also baked this bread using 4 cups white and 1 1/2 to 2 cups wheat flour. Nothing I do seems to mess up the great texture and taste. I don't really knead for the second rising. I just dump out and mash flat, take a knife and cut it kind of in half. (one of my pans is larger than the other). Fold over and place in my pans, mash it down and let it rise.

Edited for spelling.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Recipe for the stickest mess Yeast Rolls. These things are a mess to make. But because they are so good I just keep on dealing with them. My first thought on making them was WOAH, no way these will be any good. But they are wonderful. I sell them at work. I use to make 2 doz on the weekend for my family to have during the week. For a couple of weekends I made 4 doz and sold them at work. Now people are asking me to please make them a couple of doz.

Yeast Rolls
INGREDIENTS
2 tablespoons shortening
3 tablespoons white sugar
1 cup hot water
1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

1.Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Grease 8 muffin cups.
2.In a large bowl, mix the shortening, sugar, and hot water. Allow to cool until lukewarm, and mix in the yeast until dissolved. Mix in the egg, salt, and flour. Allow the dough to rise until doubled in size.
3.Divide the dough into the prepared muffin cups, and allow to rise again until doubled in size.
4.Bake for 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a knife inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.

Notes of Importance.
Because this is such a sticky mess I let my dough rise in the bowl I mix it in.
# 3 Divide the dough. LOL No way. Grab a few fingers full and pull it apart. Let it gob into the pan. Don't worry about how it looks. When they rise they will be great. This is really a major sticky mess. But they melt in your mouth when done.

The first rise can take anywhere from 1 to 3 hours. Depends on your household humidity and temps. (Mine varies, so the rise time varies.) The first time I made these after 1 hour the mess still looked the same. I was thinking man, what a waste of ingredients. I left them alone and came back about an hour later and could not believe the size of the dough in that bowl.

Changes that work. You can use 2 tablespoons of butter instead of the shortening or like me use 1 tablespoon shortening and 1 butter. I use 3 tablespoons of honey instead of sugar. Or you can mix it up with a combination of the 2.

I usually have some dough left over since I only fill my muffin pans about half full. (These rolls rise a lot). I just add a little flour to whats left and roll out a 2 to 4 free form rolls and cook on a cookie sheet.