Breads/Biscut making, advice, help, recipes. Pics pg 3

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
With all the on-line recipes, you would think it would be easy. However, perhaps a solution is in what I am doing wrong.

Bread making: Problem loaf falls flat after I let it rise for 2 hours or 1 inch above the pan.

Check temp of water before proofing the yeast, amount of yeast, maybe to much honey?:he

Now, its just not once, but four times!!! :rant

Biscut recipe please? :love

Also do you have one for cheese biscuts?

Do you use lard to make your biscuts? I think I remember my mom using lard that she rendered down to make them, but I am not certian.

Yummy rolls/breads/biscuts that are lightly sweet that the kids would like say for breakfast?

Thank you for your help, if I can understand bread/biscut making, I'd be one happy peddler :weee

jnr1971

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hi! I can't help you much on the bread making part, but the biscuits I can.
The best recipe I have found is in the good ole Betty Crocker cookbook:

2 cups flour
3 tsps baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 TBSP sugar
Blend these and then add 1/2 cup shortening. Blend with a pastry blender or a fork. Add 3/4 cup milk. Stir until mixed. Roll out on floured place and cut out your biscuits. (I use my daughter's cup!) Bake for 13 or so minutes at 450 degrees.
I make these every Sunday for breakfast and both my girls (ages 4 and 3) go crazy because they know it's biscuits for breakfast. They love honey on theirs, Daddy loves jelly, I love honey on mine, too.
Hope this helps. It's super easy to make.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sounds like you might be letting your bread rise too long/too high. It really depends on the recipe, so I can't say for certain. I would recommend that you find a really basic white loaf recipe (any good cookbook will have one) - even if what you really want eventually is whole wheat, or something fancier - and get that down pat before you try anything else. Once you can turn out an acceptable loaf on a consistant basis then you can move on to something fancier/healthier/sweeter/whatever. Bread is very forgiving, but you need to have the basics before you can move on. My aunt taught me that basic white bread when I was still in high school, and 40 years later I can't remember ever having had a major failure (little ones, sure, but they were still OK to eat :lol:).

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
ORChick said:
even if what you really want eventually is whole wheat, or something fancier - and get that down pat before you try anything else. Once you can turn out an acceptable loaf on a consistant basis then you can move on to something fancier/healthier/sweeter/whatever. Bread is very forgiving, but you need to have the basics before you can move on.
:frow :lol:

So let me understand, your advice to me is to stop destorying loaves of bread, learn how to make a acceptable loaf ( I can understand this) and it has to be consistant!! It will be then and only then, that you will share say a sweet bread recipe with me. :plbb (I can understand this too, kinda) So now, tomorrow, I will make those loafs of bread. :thumbsup

:yuckyuck :yuckyuck :yuckyuck :yuckyuck :yuckyuck
(written in good humor, thou tastless):gig

I am going to be making bread tomorrow. Thank you :thumbsup

Welcome to SS :welcome

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
It could be your house temps, humidity, the yeast... or even the recipe. Here is a good recipe for a beginnner.

The Easiest Loaf of Bread Youll Ever Bake
from King Arthur Flour Company

1 T sugar
5 1/2-6 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 T (1 packet) yeast
1 T salt
corn meal
2 cups warm water (not over 110F)
boiling water

MIX IT
Add sugar and yeast to warm water and let dissolve. Gradually add salt and flour to liquid and mix thoroughly until dough pulls from sides of bowl. Turn out onto floured surface to knead. (This may be a little messy, but don't give up!)

KNEAD IT
Fold far edge of dough back over on itself towards you. Press dough away with heels of hands. After each push, rotate dough 90. Repeat process in rhythmic, rocking motion for about 3 minutes. (Lightly sprinkle flour on board to prevent sticking.) Let dough rest while you scrape out and grease mixing bowl. Knead dough again about 3 more minutes until bouncy and smooth.

LET IT RISE
Place dough in bowl and turn over once to grease the top. Cover with damp towel or plastic wrap and let rise until doubled in bulk (this could take 1 to 2 hours).

SHAPE IT
Punch down dough with fist and briefly knead out gas bubbles. Cut in half and shape into 2 Italian or French-style loaves. Place on cookie sheet generously sprinkled with corn meal. Let dough rest 10 minutes.

BAKE IT
Quick Method:
Lightly slash the tops 3 or more times diagonally and brush with cold water. Place on rack in cold oven. Bake at 400F for 35 to 40 minutes until crust is golden brown and sounds hollow to the touch.

Traditional Method:
For lighter, crustier bread, let loaves rise 45 minutes. Preheat oven to 450F for 15 minutes. Pour 2 to 3 cups of boiling water into roasting pan. Carefully place on oven bottom. Place bread on rack above pan and bake 20 minutes. Turn oven off and allow bread to remain for 5 more minutes. Remove, cool and devour!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
the-metal-peddler said:
ORChick said:
even if what you really want eventually is whole wheat, or something fancier - and get that down pat before you try anything else. Once you can turn out an acceptable loaf on a consistant basis then you can move on to something fancier/healthier/sweeter/whatever. Bread is very forgiving, but you need to have the basics before you can move on.
:frow :lol:

So let me understand, your advice to me is to stop destorying loaves of bread, learn how to make a acceptable loaf ( I can understand this) and it has to be consistant!! It will be then and only then, that you will share say a sweet bread recipe with me. :plbb (I can understand this too, kinda) So now, tomorrow, I will make those loafs of bread. :thumbsup

:yuckyuck :yuckyuck :yuckyuck :yuckyuck :yuckyuck
(written in good humor, thou tastless):gig

I am going to be making bread tomorrow. Thank you :thumbsup

Welcome to SS :welcome
I'll be happy to share recipes, but, as you say, there are lots on the web, and more at the library, and what pleases my family might not be what you want for yours :)lol: and I have had all those years to get my basic, consistant loaf :lol:). I don't know where you live, but if it is anywhere in the west of the country you might be able to find the Sunset Bread Book; their basic loaf is good (as well as the other choices), and there are pictures of the process - at least there are in my edition (from the '60s). This was my "Bread Bible" for a number of years. Good luck. And thanks for the "Welcome" :).

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I posted a recipe for mayonnaise biscuits on an earlier thread in the kitchen section. Look there, there are some good threads on breadmaking and the mayo biscuits are my favorite...no yeast, quick and easy and you can add stuff to them to change the flavor like herbs, cheese, cinnamon and raisins, etc.

Check in the kitchen/recipes section and you'll find lots of useful tips there! Good luck!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I would agree that your bread is rising too long.
Are you doing one rise in a bowl and the second in the pan?

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
I will have a look lori, thanks (ummmmm I missed the recipe thread area until today) the story of my life, a day late and a dollar short. :weee

I did make some biscuts yesterday evening, the browned on the bottom a little dark, but I blame that on my oven :rant

I like mayo, so I will look yours up and give it a try, LYKL how they turned out.

2 raises yes, one bowl one pan let it rise couple inches over pan, when I moved it would fall.

I another question, chewy crust??????????

Latest posts