Breaking away from storebought cereal--breakfast ideas needed.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I like whole oats, uncut, not steel cut or Irish, but the whole groat, cooked with whole almonds or hazelnuts. At the end of cooking I add chopped apple so it softens just a bit and sometimes add nutmeg or cinnamon. I serve it with milk or ricemilk. Definitely not for speedy eaters.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
sylvie said:
I like whole oats, uncut, not steel cut or Irish, but the whole groat, cooked with whole almonds or hazelnuts. At the end of cooking I add chopped apple so it softens just a bit and sometimes add nutmeg or cinnamon. I serve it with milk or ricemilk. Definitely not for speedy eaters.
Like the whole oats I have for my horse??? How long do you cook them?

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Types of oats and oatmeal
Oat groats: Oats that have been cleaned, toasted, hulled, and cleaned again. They take a long time to cook and are rather chewy. You can reduce the cooking time by rolling or pounding them.

Rolled Oats: Oat groats that are steamed, pressed with a roller, then dried. Rolled oats are also known as old-fashioned oats. These will take about 15 minutes to cook.

Quick-cooking oats: Rolled oats have been cut into smaller pieces and rolled thinner, thus they cook more quickly (about 5 minutes).

Instant oatmeal: Oatmeal that has been pre-cooked and dried. These days, instant oatmeal usually comes with flavor additives. Do not use in place of rolled or quick-cooking oatmeal.

Oat flour: Comes from ground oat groats and contains no gluten (gluten-free). Oat flour contains natural antioxidants that can actually prolong the shelf-life of baked goods. It is usually available at health food stores.

Oat bran: The outer coating of the oat grain which is even higher in fiber. Also usually available at health food stores.

Steel-cut oats or Scotch oats: Unrolled oats which have been cut into 2 or 3 pieces. Even with extended cooking time, they are quite chewy in texture. These are often used as a savory side dish.

I like this recipe for groats...

Oat Groats

1 cup oat groats
1 tsp salt
4 cups boiling water

The night before, in the upper part of a double boiler, put in all ingredients. Cover and cook for 30 min. to 1 hour. Turn off heat and let cereal remain in boiler until morning. Reheat and serve in morning. Makes 4 servings.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
sylvie said:
Like the whole oats I have for my horse??? How long do you cook them?
Actually, yeah, like horse oats if they don't have hulls.
Mine are organic, grown for human consumption from Oregon, in 25lb-50lb bags and RAW. (I can sprout if I choose)
I prefer the overnight in covered pan method, but have never cooked them longer than 20 min; I like somewhat al dente. I then heat in morning as described above.

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
unclejoe said:
I read through the entire thread and didn't find anything comparable so I decided to add mine. It is rather time consuming to prepare but the kids look forward to it when they see me starting it.

I dice up 5-6 potatoes into 1/2"cubes and fry them in a large deep skillet in a little oil with some onions and garlic powder ( season to your own taste). While they are cooking, I slice up a few sausage links and fry them in another pan. When they're both done, I put the sausage in with the potatoes. Next I whip 5-6 eggs in a bowl and pour that over the potato/sausage mixture and cook until the eggs are done. Finally I grate a lot of sharp cheddar cheese over the whole concoction, cover it, and let it melt.
The whole process takes about an hour so it's not something you can throw together when you oversleep, but for a Sat. or Sun breakfast it makes a great filling meal that stays with you all morning.
You can use any kind of meat. I've used ham, bacon, or those "Lil Smokey's". They eliminate 1 pan because they're already cooked and you just throw them in with the cooked taters.
These amounts feed 5 of us with a little left over to pick at as you walk by the stove. :) Bon Appetite
you can have this if you oversleep
i have this same recipe listed in my crock pot recipes book
you start it around 10pm on medium
wala breakfast is served at 7 with only one cooking dish being dirty and the crock pot takes alot less energy than a stove