Breaking away from storebought cereal--breakfast ideas needed.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I make fritattas for breakfast. They are scrambled egg poured to lie flat in a cast iron skillet, then after set it is placed in the oven to puff and finish cooking. The ones I prefer are lemon thyme fritattas with 2 tbsp fresh thyme per 2 egg fritatta.
I also make them with chopped spinach, mushrooms and tomato slices.

Not usually known, but salsa on plain scrambled eggs makes them taste heavenly and light.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Salsa on anything is pretty delicious...but on eggs...yummm.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
The mistake most people make is saying "I am not eating sugar" when in fact they are eating LOTS of sugar but don't know it. The fact that carbs break down in your digestive tract in to glucose isn't just a belief of mine. That is fact. What you choose to do with that fact is entirely up to you.

A few carbs aren't going to kill you. Massive amounts of carbs at every meal sets you up for weight gain, high blood pressure, obesity and heart disease. Not only is that my belief, that is my personal experience.

You can eat carbs until they shoot out your eyeballs if you like, just don't think that because you left out sugar you aren't getting sugar. It's simple biology what happens to flour, rice, corn, etc... once it is digested. It converts to glucose. I fail to see how pointing this out is a problem.
Respectfully--without trying to start a war
No one is debating the fact that carbs turn into sugars. Some people jsut feel they would like to eliminate sugar --as in "sugar" (cane, beet, etc) while still enjoying carbs, (pasta, wheat, rice etc), feeling they are part of a complete diet--without being made to feel that carbs are the enemy hence -everything in moderation. While you may feel--for you--that low carb is the way to go--not every one holds that belief.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Like I said earlier, I am not talking about feelings. Just mentioning facts. Ignore them if you think they are not important. If you think I am crazy, that's fine...you wouldn't be the first! :gig

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Since the thread is drifting, maybe I will drift along with it. :) Not all carbs are equal. When I make my kids hot cereal made of flax seed, oats, cracked wheat and quinoa, for example, it is drastically different than if I feed them Fruit Loops. All those grains are loaded with fiber (soluble or not), some protein and fat, and the vitamins and minerals that each one contains. The carbs are eventually broken down into sugar, but the body does it slowly, unlike a massive simple-sugar rush.

Here are a couple facts I found on this link: http://www.penguin.co.uk/static/cs/uk/0/minisites/youarewhatyoueat/energy_food_fact.html

grains
Grains release sugar slowly and give you a steady flow of energy instead of a quick high followed by a low. They are also a good source of B vitamins which are needed to assist the spleen, your energy battery. Without the Bs you will definitely need a 'jump start'.

oats
Oats are not only packed with energy nutrients but they help keep blood glucose levels at an even keel to maintain concentration and alertness. Enjoy a bowl of porridge in the morning for the perfect release of sustained energy throughout the morning.

flax seeds
Flax seeds, or linseeds, contain abundant levels of omega-3 and omega-6 essential fatty acids (EFAs) and in perfect balance. EFAs are involved in energy production and oxygen transfer.

I think that with all things moderation and balance are important.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
When I make my kids hot cereal made of flax seed, oats, cracked wheat and quinoa,
These are the ingredients of the only storebought cereal I like--don't know if you have it in the states, but it's called Red River cereal. I love it with raisins in it.

And although I still like a little sugar, what you posted is exactly what I want for my kids-- whole grains in as close to their natural state as possible, so they can actually get the benefits of it as opposed to the sugar rush from highly processed cereals.

me&thegals

Reaction score
Yes--Red River Cereal! It was so expensive, though, that one day I looked at the ingredients and saw cracked wheat, flax and cracked rye. Finally the lightbulb went on and I realized I could easily make that myself for a fraction of the price. Then, one of my mom's bed and breakfast cookbooks had another hot cereal recipe with loads of other whole grains. So, these days, I just toss in whatever looks good or is handy :) I'm amazed at how my kids wolf that stuff down!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
My grandma used to make corn meal mush for breakfast.

Corn Meal Mush

1 cup corn meal
1 cup cold water
1 t salt

-Stir together until smooth

3 cups boiling water

- Slowly add cornmeal mixture to boiling water stirring until smooth.
Cover and turn stove to low for 10 min until thickened.

This can be eaten as a hot cereal with honey, syrup, jam or dare I say it ... sugar!

OR

Pour the mixture into a lightly oiled clean coffee can and chill.

This can be then sliced and lightly pan fried like a pancake - served with sweetener or fruit. Get fancy and add herbs or cheese and have it for dinner. Cheap, Nutritious and TASTY!

Gor-mets call this stuff Polenta these days, but we hillbillys just calls it mush!

me&thegals

Reaction score
I learned this from my husband's family! I insist on calling it polenta, though :)

Sarahs31

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
Yes--Red River Cereal! It was so expensive, though, that one day I looked at the ingredients and saw cracked wheat, flax and cracked rye. Finally the lightbulb went on and I realized I could easily make that myself for a fraction of the price. Then, one of my mom's bed and breakfast cookbooks had another hot cereal recipe with loads of other whole grains. So, these days, I just toss in whatever looks good or is handy :) I'm amazed at how my kids wolf that stuff down!
Ha! That's because they had to suffer through Tofu Peanut Linguini the night before and are "starving" :) At 6am they'd wolf down sawdust....

I tried to make the kids eat crockpot oatmeal this week. Didn't go over so well. Actually had tears. :/ Need to modify the recipe a smidge. See you tomorrow.