Bresse chicken

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
although CCX makes a fine meat chicken it has several draw backs for us.
1) they don't naturally bred, so there is a human dependentcy on chick availability and chicks are subject to pricing. This year they ain't available at the farm stores around us and when I asked about ordering they ain't cheap 🙄

2) the feeding schedule must be fairly closely adhered too or they may eat them selves to death.

3) they STINK and poop a goo mess, that requires quite a bit of attention to keep cleaned up.

4) they like it warm or the pile and the ones on the bottom of the pile usually die.

So we are looking at Bresse chickens. It's an interesting breed. Have a read through here ---> https://www.thehappychickencoop.com/bresse-chicken/

We would like to be able to have a meat chicken that breed naturally and could either put eggs under one of our other broody fowl or incubate.

Anyways, have a read through the article and comment on your thoughts on CCX vs Bresse?

Thanks

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I read the information and it seems intriguing. However, clicking on the link did not come up with any pictures or ordering info for that breed. Then I got to looking at a few of the other articles. The everything you want to know about Araucanas, shows a picture that is NOT an Araucana... maybe a black Americauna but is NOT and Araucana. And then the article on the Dorking chicken is showing a picture of a game breed known as an Aseel... it is the silver duckwing pattern. Looks NOTHING like a dorking.
So aside from not finding any ordering info on the Bresse... this "Happy Chicken site" also has pictures that totally do not showcase the breed they are referring to in the accompanying article.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Any of the traditional dual purpose breeds are very tasty. Actually taste like chicken and not the brine that commercial broilers from the store taste like.

But then traditionally chicken was only eaten once a week.

I've never noticed a flavor difference between silkie and ameraucana. Both mature slowly. Mature roosters do have stronger flavor.

American bresse are still rare. Not exactly the same as the French breed. Murray McMurray does carry them.

Feeding and care is part of why the French Bresse are considered very fine eating chickens.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have raised the commercial "cornish cross" meat chickens on pasture. They are not as active but if started out that way, they actually do very good. Yep, they eat alot, and they poop alot... but they gain fast and if raised outside on grass have a much more "real chicken taste". It is nice to have a decent carcass when they are killed. Even my New Hampshires do not have as nice a carcass. There are the other "breeds" that have been developed for pasture raising meat birds. I have not had any of them so don't know.
@baymule raised them in a chicken tractor and they were messy but moved them daily and they put alot of manure back into the ground. Mine just "free range" except when I am fighting with the hawk. The bigger they get the more they "sit around"... but the conversion of feed to meat is very good.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I can’t even eat chicken anymore, but we used to raise Cornish x, then we raised dual purpose birds. Cornish x are just miserable creatures. DH butchered some Dixie Rainbows for someone once and they were impressive carcass wise, we’ve never raised them so I’m no expert but might be interesting to look into them.

That didn’t totally answer your question sorry 😂

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
In my opinion, if you can find a bunch of inexpensive Cornish cross chicks... they get to eat and be treated the way YOU want them to be... and the feed to meat conversion can't be beat.

If you don't want the "must butcher this week" of Cornish cross, and want to raise your own... then any "regular" chicken works well.

In general, the meatier the carcass then the fewer eggs. So... you have to decide what is most important to you.

I have decided that I REALLY want great feed to egg conversion, so I have an egg layer breed. Spent hens and extra cockerels are eaten, and sure, they are skinny, but meat is meat.

For great big breasts... I think quail are the ones to pick. Sure, they are small... but that is a huge breast, and you go from egg to meat on the table just as fast as a Cornish cross. Eggs have to be incubated in an incubator, but they fertilize normally.

Least expensive meat, for me, has been geese. They grow on maybe 90% lawn grass. So very little cost.

I haven't raised them... but I have gotten spent rabbits and butchered, and those are the easiest/fastest to butcher.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Years ago, folks here were fans of Freedom Rangers (?)