Brewing equipment

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Dad used to brew for fun.... hmmm I wonder if he's got his brew equipment still, it'd be fun to take a crack at brewing sometime i think

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If you're making your own beer, you can use less hops- they were used as a preservative back in the day. Might be why IPA is so hoppy; India is a hot climate, and we're talking about no refrigeration

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If you're making your own beer, you can use less hops- they were used as a preservative back in the day. Might be why IPA is so hoppy; India is a hot climate, and we're talking about no refrigeration

I do agree... The amount of hops that come in beer kits are way to much. Sometimes even 1/2 the hops they call for is still way to much for my taste. I like to taste the hint of sweet malt, not have my head blown off with bitter hops.

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
O! I didn't know that it was used as a preservation!! So there could be a beer I like out there! Yay! Would altering the amount of hops mean the recipe cook time would need to change?? I don't have a lot of experience or knowledge for brew stuff, wasn't interested or welcome to assist with brewing when dad was interested in it lol

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
O! I didn't know that it was used as a preservation!! So there could be a beer I like out there! Yay! Would altering the amount of hops mean the recipe cook time would need to change?? I don't have a lot of experience or knowledge for brew stuff, wasn't interested or welcome to assist with brewing when dad was interested in it lol

Depends on the beer style, but mostly no you still need to boil the malt for the same amount of time. You would just be adding less bittering hops at the start of the boil and flavor hops near the end of the boil. My wheat recipe calls for 1/2 as much of each than most recipes do because that's the way i like it, I'm not a hop head.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think that ales tend to have less hops, right @CrealCritter ? I know I don't care for hops much, and found I really liked Rogue Brewery's Hazelnut Ale