Brita faucet filter

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I finally made my way to the store to grab one of these. We were buying gallons of water to drink, make coffee, tea and other drinks. Our tap water was horrendus... I'm not a picky person, I'll slurp out of a creek, but this stuff was awful. It even overpowered my coffee (Folger's Black Silk) so it was not only horrid tasting, but it was STRONG. Anyways, after messing with the thing for a little, we got it on, and the water tastes like WATER! It's not exceptionally great spring water, but it's drinkable now, and it should save a good bit of money in the long run. So, if anyone has yucky water and was thinking about one of these... Go for it!

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We've been hauling spring water for about a year: Everytime our water district digs a new well, it seems our water quality gets worse. The latest new well made the water absolutely horrible (and our water bill goes up!) So a 40-mile round trip to get wonderful free artesian well water has been worth it. However, it does get to be time consuming and not that fun in the wintertime. So we have been looking at faucet water filters, too. They aren't very expensive, but the price of the filters is off-putting for me. I'll be interested to see how you get along with yours and if the filter costs are prohibitive.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If drinking water AT ONE LOCATION is your concern the faucet filter may work for you. Myself I went with under the counter filters in the kitchen and the upstairs bathroom. The larger filters last much longer and are available in different types for different problems and for different prices (Brita tries to cover many problems and therefore the filters are rather pricy) In some locations you can get free water testing (contact the extension service through your county, Don't be fooled by the name 'farm extension service' ALL counties have a office even if there are no farms! I knew from the required well testing at time of sale that my well was clean for minerals and bacteriia but it tasted like a swamp! cheap activated carbon filters took care of that. The 'rig' cost less than a faucet unit and I saved on filters. Changing the filters is harder because they are under the counters, but is another option.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I went with the faucet filter because we really only drink out of one sink, the other sinks are all bathroom or utility (basement) faucets. It was also cheaper, especially since we'll be moving eventually. The filters are $16.48 (the whole contraption was $16.88), so it's not too bad, if they work for awhile. I think it was supposed to last approximately 4 months. It should save us money in the long run, because we were flavoring all of the water from the jugs because it tasted like plastic to drink it straight, and with this, we no longer have to purchase the flavorings for every drink. Plus, the plastic waste will definately go way down.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We've been buying the filtered drinking water in bulk from the store for cooking and drinking. We tried and tried with a faucet filter, but it clogged up much to quick.

We aren't dealing with anything bad thankfully. We just have a lot of iron sediment in the water. Friend of ours told us he can help us set up the hot water tank and the pressure tank so we can drain and flush them once a month. That's what he has to do since everyone has an iron problem here. I can smell the dissolved iron in the water, so could my mom, but apparently my husband can't. If we get that set up so there isn't the particles to clog stuff, I'll get another faucet filter. Used one for years and it helped lots with that nasty smelling Virginia Beach water I couldn't gag down.

BirdBrain

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If you have iron you might want to get a water softener that will strip some of that out.