Britesea - Living the good life in rural Oregon

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So how has your test came out. I had that done last year. No fun at all. At least I didn't wake up in the middle of it (this time). I hope everything is good with you. :hugs

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, it looks like I'm good for another 50,000 miles... lol

My throat is sore, because they also ran a tube down to look at everything in the upper part of the GI tract; but besides that i'm fine now. AND I lost 1 1/2 pounds in the process... silver linings and all.

We struggled to put together a couple of nest boxes yesterday when I got home. I kept dropping little things like nuts and screws. But we have them put together and ready to hang in the Waldorf Eggstoria.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
:hugs That is good news! Fingers crossed for your DH now

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My throat still hurts today, and it looks like I might have a reaction from some tape they appear to have put around the neck just under the jaw; that's all I can think of for why the skin is hurting and sensitive to the touch there. *sigh*

I'm not going to Tai Chi this morning... I just don't feel like it. Instead, I'm going to plant my sweet peppers today, and repot the eggplants, and pull some more weeds... and maybe make some low-carb, high-fiber crackers; the doctor said I had the beginnings of diverticulosis (not diverticulitis) and I need to eat more fiber. I'm not eating grains, so that means more greens and chia seed, psyllum seed, and flaxseed.

I've been thinking about using up some of our extra railroad ties to make a taller raised flower bed in front of the house. Raising the level of the bed up would bring the flowers up to the level of the windows so we could enjoy the blooms and scents from inside the house as well as out. But I'm not sure how to protect the siding of the house from rot it I do this; so I'm still pondering.

Today is supposed to start a warming trend again, for which I am grateful. Of course, in another month, I'll be complaining about it, lol.

Dinner last night was excellent: I rubbed some homemade Jamaican Jerk seasoning onto a pork butt roast and pressure-cooked it for 40 minutes until it was falling apart, and served it on some cauliflower "rice". Frozen raspberries with cream for dessert.
For tonight, I'm wavering between Asian style meatballs and Chicken Curry.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No matter what you decided for tonight, last night sounds :drool

I will imagine from afar....yep, taste buds drooling. That sounds like something I need to do with some of the pork I have in the freezer from butchering last Fall.:clap Tomorrow my crock pot will work for the day. And I will bring home fresh raspberry, blackberry & blueberries from my sampling work, along with whipped cream.

I'll think I'm at your table....until the wash dishes part. :lol:

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh man, both of ya'll are killing me! I'm thinking about skipping dinner and just having another glass of wine, lol. Oh - and cocoa dusted almonds are really good with red wine!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Typical summer... been too busy to do more than read what others are posting, lol.

The garden is doing very well this year. I just hope the weather is on our side for long enough to harvest everything. We picked our first patty pan squash yesterday and had a delicious mess of broccoli last night; the volunteer potatoes are blooming, got a lot of little green globes on the tomatoes. The only crop I've had to declare a dead loss on is the lettuce; the ground squirrels just wouldn't leave them alone, and now it's too hot to replant. The hazelnuts look like they've got some little green nuts starting the quince and peach seem to be flourishing, and it looks like we will have a bumper crop of plums this year. The apple tree didn't put out many blooms this year though; I think they got hit by the frost that missed the plums.

Chickens are doing well- we heard somebody crow in the coop a couple mornings ago but can't tell by looks yet. It looks like we have a RIR (Henrietta), some sort of mix- she's white with some light red lacing across the back (Spot), 3 White Leghorns (Thing 1, Thing 2, and Thing 3), and 2 dozen Speckled Sussex (The Spotted Horde). Some of the Horde are considerably smaller than everyone else- almost Banty-sized; but I bought them straight-run from Murray McMurray? One of the banty-sized ones may be the crower, because we caught him trying to mount Thing 1... he was too small and Thing put up a terrible fuss about it, until Millie the LGD ran over and broke up the fight.

I came into the pantry a couple of days ago and caught sight of a fat little mouse running toward the corner. We set traps and caught that one the first night. We haven't caught any others, so maybe it was only one. I've been cleaning things up in there- moving everything that was in plastic or cardboard into glass jars and throwing mouse-chewed stuff to the chickens. So far I lost my coconut, a couple of small containers of specialty flours, and a bag of walnuts, darn!

We've started going to two Tai Chi sessions, back-to-back on Mondays and Fridays; we go to one session on Wednesdays, followed by some pool time to relax. I've been feeling some pain on the days when I do 2 sessions simply because it's more than I was used to; but hopefully in another week or so I'll be ok again.

We are still on the Keto diet, and I've lost 40 pounds so far (Yay!) while DH has lost about 15 (he cheats, lol)

So, I'm looking at making a curry with some canned pork I have, and frozen green beans. Not sure about dessert yet... maybe some low-carb ice cream with strawberries?

Latest posts