Britesea - Living the good life in rural Oregon

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
thanks for the video, @cabinguy I had seen that once before but forgot it. I'll have to get up the ladder to see if I have any filled tubes this year.

Still smoky here, but at least it's a mite cooler. My tomatoes are finally ripening, and I picked my first ripe bell pepper!

I picked up some gloriously ripe and fragrant organic peaches at the farmers market this morning. I have a batch going in the freeze dryer right now, a second batch in the freezer, some are going into dessert tonight as Peach Melba, and we are sipping on some peach iced tea from the juices that collected at the bottom of the bowl. I also roasted a bunch of Hatch peppers and have them in the freezer as well.

Pulled out some grass-fed rib steaks to grill for dinner, and I have some dried Lions Mane mushrooms soaking (never had them before- hope I like them), then round everything out with a nice green salad and a few newly ripened tomatoes.

So now it's time to go out and water/fertilize the plants in the greenhouse. See you all later!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh my - dinner sounds delish! I'd love to find some great peaches somewhere. I refuse to buy 'em at the grocery store - they have no more taste than a cardboard box....:(

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Peaches are always better if tree ripened :drool But had some decent ones at a demo earlier in week. The ones I brought home have had 3 days to ripen more and last night I made 3 pints of peach butter. Nice taste. The last of the jars just did their ping @ 11:30 :D Another 5# came with me Sat and I think I am going to make a peach-chili salsa, from Ball canning book. Maybe :idunno Work later today...will see when I can work it in. :)

Your dinner sounds lovely. Think I'll pull up a chair!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I miss the yellow peaches we had in S.A. :( We get apricots, plums and nectarines from there and elsewhere in Europe here, but no decent peaches. Talking of peaches, I saw this pic of a hummingbird's nest on a peach on FB yesterday :love

39145598_10160647208065526_2380254975474270208_n.jpg

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Had a surprise waiting for me when I got home from my doctor's appointment yesterday--
turkeys.jpg

Meet Gertrude and Tom-Tom (that's Thing 1 in between them... good size comparison). One of the women that is in my Tai Chi class asked my husband if we would please take them, as she is tired of taking care of them and doesn't feel up to butchering them. She wouldn't hear of him butchering them for her, nor would she take any money (I think I'll try to get her to accept at least half the breast of the tom). Gertrude has apparently just started laying eggs (right now they are no larger than the chickens' eggs). So we will need to make time (and space in the freezer!) for 2 good sized turkeys. Tom-Tom we estimate at about 40 lbs, Gertrude is considerably smaller, and Tom-Tom doesn't seem to be completely fledged yet! They are incredibly friendly; in fact, it was kind of hard to get a picture because Gertrude kept following me as I tried to back up to get a decent pic, lol.