1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Support for Sumi - The Supporting Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Britesea - Living the good life in rural Oregon

Discussion in 'Member's "Self Sufficient Living" Journals' started by Britesea, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Sep 14, 2018 at 1:48 PM
    Mini Horses

Mini Horses Super Self-Sufficient

I happens that I was able to obtain a set of dog kennel panels about a week ago...CHEAP! So many uses and had been watching for the deal of deals. They are here & with storm prepping , doing nothing. Spending late night on net, I came across a greenhouse made from a set of panels!! How great an idea! :clap Now I am thinking -- I have panels, actually have the clear tarps FOR covering greenhouses. :ep With some thought I could put up a little greenhouse. NOT permanent but, a good temporary one that could be set up and dismantled with a little effort and little $$. Then re-use all when Spring arrives. Not saying I will get it done but, what a possibility for a useable growing area for winter and Spring starts. I'm looking around for a perfect area....what a "HELLO!!" this was :lol:

sumi likes this.
  2. Sep 14, 2018 at 2:19 PM
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Sustainability Master

3. Sep 15, 2018 at 3:13 AM
    Britesea

Britesea Sustainability Master

you'll want to anchor the plastic real well against winter storms

4. Sep 15, 2018 at 6:59 PM
    Britesea

Well, we've had our first frost of the season; it's two weeks earlier than usual. the tomatoes and squash show a little frost damage, but the peppers look ok. Now I'm trying to decide whether to bring all the green tomatoes in and try to ripen them (but then they won't taste much better than supermarket tomatoes) or cave and make green tomato relish. I don't hold out much hope for that bumper crop of apples we have on the trees... they were only just beginning to turn color. We had a late, heavy rain in spring that knocked most of the blossoms off the plum trees, so we didn't get much of plum harvest. We didn't get much in the way of harvests from the vegetables that need pollinators either- I blame the heavy smoke from all the fires as well as the huge numbers of yellow jackets we saw this summer. Glad we aren't dependent on the garden and orchard for all our food...

On the other hand, the Auracanas have started laying, yay! So now I get at least 1 green egg a day along with the white and light brown ones. Henrietta, the RIR isn't laying right now; I think she's molting. And Gertrude the turkey gave us a few eggs, including a TRIPLE-yolker on two separate occasions, but has apparently stopped for the season now.

I didn't go to Tai Chi yesterday because my heel got some painful cracks. I slathered my healing salve over it and covered it with a gauze pad Thursday night and kept at it until this morning. It feels fine today.

I found a recipe for a Drawing Salve that looks pretty good, so I ordered the ingredients I didn't already have; I'll make some when they come. DH stepped on a broken rose cane a couple of weeks ago and it stabbed him right through his Croc. The wound still hasn't fully healed. It doesn't appear to be infected, but it was a deep wound and it looks like something may be encapsulated in there. I'm hoping the Drawing Salve will pull it out faster.

Enough Doom and Gloom. Next year will be better!

5. Sep 15, 2018 at 7:22 PM
    Mini Horses

Mini Horses Super Self-Sufficient

:lol: The eternal hope for all of us. :D:love Sometimes it is because "it can't get a whole lot worse". Weather issues have plagued everyone this year …. except weeds! not the good ones

Hope DHs foot gets better soon. Kinda hard to walk much on soreness.

6. Sep 15, 2018 at 10:06 PM
    Britesea

Thanks, @Mini Horses but DH has Neuropathy in his feet (one of the 30% that have it without having diabetes) so it's not nearly as painful as it would be for me. Lol, go figure, I have diabetes but no neuropathy, he has neuropathy but no diabetes?.

My seeds for mache and claytonia came today, so I'm going to start some in pots for the greenhouse winter garden.

We got our first frosts of the season... 2 weeks early. The tomatoes got some frost damage because I missed covering them the first night. I guess I'll just pull them and make some green tomato relish. The peppers seem ok, and the squash only got a couple of leaves hit... I think the fruits are ok because they were shielded by the leaves.

It's cool today. Should be pleasant while adding more wood chips to the paths. I'm DETERMINED to smother most of the weeds this winter! I can't do much more turning of the compost pile until I finish the second bin. We need one more course of concrete blocks (and I need to buy a couple of half-blocks to finish the rows) and then drive some of the older T-posts down the hole to help keep them in place. I also need to trim and tie up the raspberries and top up their mulch, but I doubt I'll get to them today.

Looking over my stores, I'm almost out of freeze-dried bell peppers, although I have plenty of the dehydrated ones. I prefer the freeze-dried one for stir-fries and denver omelettes (a favorite around here). So I will be watching for sales on peppers so I can get some batches in. I also discovered that I'm all out of tuna! How did that happen? We should be seeing the case-lot sales that our favorite store holds in the fall pretty soon now, so that goes on the list too.

Went to LB's house to help her move her freeze-dryer into the spot she made for it, and we discovered it took some damage during shipping. They didn't notice the crease in the cardboard when they got it, and it's been sitting in the garage for a couple of months waiting for her to make room in the house. I hope that the company will do the right thing even though it's been a while.

I think we'll have Wasabi Salmon for dinner tonight (mix up equal parts of wasabi and mayonnaise, layer on the salmon, and bake just until the fish flakes) and mushroom salad (sliced raw mushrooms, lots of parsley, and vinaigrette). Cherry Jello for dessert.

sumi and Mini Horses like this.
  7. Sep 16, 2018 at 12:00 PM
    sumi

sumi Sustainability Master Administrator

Frost already? Sorry to hear about the damaged tomato plants. Mine are still as green as grass on the plants too and the pepper I got to grow and pumpkin is so slow going, I don't know if they are going to produce before it gets cold here. We'll see?