Broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage alternative in the Garden

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I finally got my kid to eat broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage (all raw) but now, finding I can't grow them worth squat in the garden! I need alternative veggies for him to eat that provide basically the same nutritients. Things I can grow with a 90-day growing season.

None of us like Brussells Sprouts, and only my Hubby likes swiss chard.

We grow a lot of various lettuces (but no bitter ones) and some spinach. He'll eat them with Ranch dressing. Would these substitute ok?

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
MyKidLuvsGreenEgz said:
I finally got my kid to eat broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage (all raw) but now, finding I can't grow them worth squat in the garden! I need alternative veggies for him to eat that provide basically the same nutritients. Things I can grow with a 90-day growing season.
The search for an expanded range of veggies is always a good idea. I wouldn't rule out broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage in a 90-day growing season - especially if you can start seedlings indoors. At our place, we often (not always) have a growing season of less than 120 frost-free days, sometimes with coolish nights. And we notice that with healthy seedlings planted in a fertile soil we can definitely be harvesting cabbage-family plants within 90 days.

An enemy, though, is a soil-borne slime mold that causes a problem known as club root. That's a condition that stunts the cabbage-family plants. For instance, you might get a cauliflower about as big in diameter as a tennis ball, or less. And when you pull the plant up, you might see a root cluster that looks like a turkey's claws. :sick

If you have that in your garden, say so. I've got some info for dealing with it.

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My problems with broc, caul and cabbage are (1) bugs (2) bunnies (3) weird temperature fluctuations. I don't want to devote any more time and space to something with no "payoff".

I can't get them to grow and I've tried for 3 years. So i need to find something nutritively similar to grow in their place.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This doesn't help with the veggies, however, you should look at the Basalmic Vinegrette. I buy it in a spray bottle for fairly cheaply, and a little goes a long way. Often times, I don't even have to use the 10 spray serving size for a large salad (which I'm sure is way more than a serving size in itself, lol). My kids LOVE it too... 3 and 4 year olds... they BEG to eat salad for snacks and such. Granted, maybe my kids are just weird, because they love broccoli too (I did as a kid as well).

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Try growing cabbage and broccolli under row cover, that eliminates most of the bugs and keeps the rabbits out. I don't think it is that expensive either, and it can be reused over and over. :D

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You may have to fence for the rabbits. I've found them to chew right through the row covers.

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We just put in a welded wire fence but the little suckers wriggle right through. Will have to (in a couple of years) go along the bottom with chicken wire (money issue). I have a row cover but that's for the strawberry beds only.

I think I'll keep trying with red cabbage.

But I'd really like a similar-nutritive value veggie to those cruciferous plants. I guess we'll settle for various lettuces and spinach.

Thanks anyway.