Broken glass ....

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
OK, so here's one I can't think of a use for.

I will save pieces of broken plates and things like that that I like, and plan to use them for a mosaic project if I get around to it. I don't have too many of those, not enough for a project yet, so that's ok.

But it seems I have more broken glass that I would like. My floors are mostly tile and concrete, so I guess that's part of the reason. When a drinking glass or a mason jar gets broken, it's just sharp trash. It doesn't burn, and I can find no purpose for it.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm thinking that except for a recycling center (which we don't have any nearby) there is nothing to be done with these?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Crush it into a fine sand for a soil conditioner? :hide Okay, I admit, I am garden happy at the moment...so sue me for automatically having a "dirty" mind :p :lol:

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Crush it into a fine sand for a soil conditioner? :hide Okay, I admit, I am garden happy at the moment...so sue me for automatically having a "dirty" mind :p :lol:
When I saw you posted, I thought you might say something like circus sideshow glass eater act or something... :lol:

I don't think adding it to the soil would be helpful. Would it ever break down?

You could always (if you have room) start a bin for the broken glass and take it with you the next time you might swing by the recycle center place's general locale.

:idunno this one has me stumped, too.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Hmmmm.....think-think-think.......what if you put them in a fire outside, trying to get them in a single layer, then when they cool, maybe some will be interesting globs that you can then mosaic into stepping stones for your garden or path? I made some very interesting stepping stones a couple of years ago and plan on making more. I started with purchased patio blocks and set designs on them with pebbles, broken plates, and purchased flattened glass globs from the craft store, then grouted them. They look pretty cool. The perfect size for perching on, barefoot, while picking strawberries. Another one catches the drips under the hose spigot. There is one right now that I set in a muddy patch by my goat's gate. Maybe you'd get some nice globs to set into some stones. The sharp edges of the broken plate that I used are problematic with bare feet so I won't use broken pottery again without smoothing edges.

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My friend takes broken glass from plates, drinking glasses, and cooking dishes. She breaks them up to no more than an inch around or smaller. Then she puts them in a rock tumbler. When you get done with the pieces they resemble beach glass. And she wraps wire really interesting around them and turns them into necklaces. Sure wish I had some pictures of her work. Its all really neat..

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Haha, Wanna, I actually thought of that. ;) I kind of had in my mind to wonder if it would be small and sharp enough to discourage snails? But ... tiny pieces of glass can get suck in MY skin too, so it would need to be a powder.

And no, FJ, I don't think it would ever break down. It's essentially torched sand, right, so not really BAD ... but then again unless I can crush it small enough not to cut ME ... and inert from an organic standpoint, so not a soil conditioner.

What I've done so far is save it up and eventually take it in ... I only get a bag's worth in a year maybe, but I guess I hate to throw away anything that might be useable.

Now, Free, that sounds like a pretty cool idea. :) I might have to try that. So far the pieces that have ended up in the fire have not melted, but maybe I need a hotter fire. I have metal burn barrels.

Very interesting ... I will have to see if it's possible???

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oh, wow, Sunny, that's pretty cool.

I used to have a rock tumbler ... not anymore unfortunately.

My grandpa also used to have a stand glass cutter that I could make a LOT of things with if I had one of those ...

Latest posts