Broken leg

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm just sick to my stomach. Youngest son got one of the baby ducklings, now it has an oblique displaced fracture... These are the WORST to fix at home, because really, about the only thing that fixes it is surgical. You can't really just splint it, because it just slips right back out of place. The place makes it even worse, because it's at the top part of the ummm, not sure what it's called in birds. Basically, not the little leg that you can see (covered in scales) but the one above the hock... The one that is above the non-feathered portion. Basically, the break is 1/3rd of the way down that bone, so, being as little as this guy is, it's about a quarter inch from the joint. I just don't know what to do to fix it... Basically, unless I got in there and did "surgery", there's no way to fix it, and surgery, well, it'd die from infection, because I certainly don't have anything here that would work for an internal fixture. I know that the best thing would be to just put it out of its misery, but it's sickening... Something so simple, and it's a death warrant. He's alert and active, trying to eat, tries to get to his siblings when I carry him outside, but that leg is useless. It just bites that an otherwise perfectly healthy bird should die for no reason at all. Way too small to eat or anything. Ugh. For now, he's just been chilling with me. I've run out of ideas though, and now I think I'm just at the point of deciding whether to let it die in its sleep with its siblings or just kill it. He doesn't seem to really be in any pain, no shock or anything like that, just cannot walk. I know that animals cover symptoms, but really, the bruising really is minimal, the swelling is minimal, etc. UGHHHH!!!

Really, what would you guys do?!

ETA: I put him in the brooder with the button quail, and he's eating and drinking. He's hobbling around, using the stub to maneuver himself. If I could fix that damn leg, I just know he'd survive.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If you know for sure you can't splint it, do a very fast dispatch. The sooner the better. If it is very small and you can't really look at what you are going to do, wrap it in a paper towel, find where the neck is and cut with a pruning shears.
Sorry, but sometimes this happens. Just do it fast and then get busy with something else to get your mind off of it. You probably can't save it anyway.

citylife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am sorry your having to make this desision. They are often hard ones to make. I tend to want to put them out of any misery they may have. Its not always what we want to do, but sometimes its the best thing to do. I do not know how to fix it either. Good luck to you.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Quick dispatch is best. That sucks. :hugs

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I couldn't do it. I can kill sick birds, and even robust, healthy birds for meat. I just can't kill a bird that is still doing so well. I ended up getting a little weird, but I think I fixed it. I ended up getting it to actually grip together (the broken parts of the bone), but the bird moved and they came back apart, SO, I did some jerry-rigging... Used packaging tape to tape it to the counter... Body and good leg with one strip, the butt with another, then used a piece of scotch to tape his head down (with some toilet paper under his head so it wasn't too uncomfortable). Wrapped TP around the foot, tied it with dental floss, wrapped it around a door knob and back to the counter, pulled enough that I could manipulate the bones into place, then taped the floss to the counter at that length. Got the bones together, held with one hand, had q-tips ready with tape on them, so I just grabbed them up with the other and set to work getting him all taped up. He looks like hell. He's all taped up at the leg, taped the leg to the body for further support and to prevent him from moving it. So... We'll see how he does. I really hope that he heals up.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
honestly...ive known MANY a happy healthy 1 legged duck...if it doesnt seem to be healing after a deacent amount of time, it migt be worth amputating to see if he'll adapt since your obviously well attatched to him :D

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I've seen 1 legged ducks as well.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Seriously?! I DID think about amputating it, but it quickly left my mind, because I just couldn't imagine a duck making it with only one leg. But, if it really is possible, and since he's young and still has plenty of time to learn how to figure it out, then I have a second option. Plus, with him being young, he will be better able to change the blood flow. But, I hope to goodness that he pulls through with a healed up leg. It'll be much easier on both of us!

Either way, looks like we just added a duck to the pet list if he makes it.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, I just had to do the dirty deed of killing. BUT NOT the duckling!!! The dirty deed was a RAT! It had a hole in the wooden door to the coop that George patched up with a very thick block of wood. Well, went down to put the turkeys and ducks away, and this stupid rat waited until I was a foot away from it til it moved. Scared the crap out of me, then it started coming back. George pulled in before I could do anything, so I just came in and ate dinner, with the shovel in the path I'd have to take to get to where it was. Anyways, checked and sure enough, it was back at the door. Walked up behind it and took a calculated chop. Fortunately, it was NOT a skittish rat... It didn't seem to care that I was approaching, didn't care that I was taking aim, nothing. Just stood there. I feel somewhat bad... She was cute, and just trying to live, however, I don't trust her around baby birds. She could have easily killed them to produce milk to feed her brood of future possible chick killers. Being a rat, and being as sleek as she was, I imagine she did have a brood of babies around somewhere. Don't want to think too much about it though. :/ George has to take the body and burry it, because I feel nasty about killing her!

Duckling is still eating and such. Poor thing though, the way I had to brace it, his leg is sticking straight back. That'll be a very weak leg, and if he pulls through, he's going to need a lot of attention for a few weeks.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
:hugs I know how you feel. I stomped a rat to death earlier in the year. I hate to kill anything that's not for food (unless it's a bug!), but yet at the same time, rats can be a big problem.