Broken leg

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Excellent news. This morning, the poult has a nice full crop, nice and mushy, so it's got feed and water in there!!! At this point, it looks like the duckling is going to have the harder time, since his leg is out of commission until it heals... Poult is still using his leg, so he'll have a faster recovery. I'm wondering if the duckling will even have use of his leg once the bones mend. It was completely limp and useless, so I'm wondering if nerves weren't damaged. :/ I'll have to assess him after awhile, then see if the leg stays or goes. If he can do alright with the gimp, I might just continue to wrap it and let it dangle, since an amputation could end in disaster. Some nerves can regenerate, though it takes months, so I don't want to take the leg unless it's a last resort.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Another update... The duckling has been getting along well hopping around on the good leg. He's definately lost a lot of growing potential though, as he's MUCH smaller than his siblings. It's amazing how much they grow each day! He's still hogging down feed and water though, and doing well, so he'll just be a runt, no biggy.

The poult is doing VERY well. I wasn't so sure this guy was going to make it to be honest. George took him out yesterday for a short free-range time with some of the cornish cross chicks, now today, he decided that he wanted to go out with the rest of the big guys. He's doing pretty well so far, not putting full weight on it, but he can certainly run. I'll keep a close eye on him out there, so he doesn't get exhausted or further injured. :)

Rosie

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Wow! I'm so happy they both seem to be on the mend! I know how those kids can be-I have 4 boys and one of them used to be nicknamed "The destructor"!

Thankfully, The destructor is now 11 and seems to be the animal whisperer. But until he got there-it was rough on the pets! I'm so rooting for your little peg leg ducking and the sweet poult!

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
One more update. The braces have come off. The poult had slipped his bones and they've calcified deformed. He's getting around, but with a little hobble. There's calloused skin where the bone is. I'm going to let him go instead of rebreaking it (because it could cause even more problems). He'll most likely have to be butchered before reaching full size, but for now, he's doing alright. Lost some growing potential, being a bronze, he's about the size of the royal palms. The bronze/royal palm poult is at least twice his size, possibly a little more. I haven't weighed them though, as genders and breeds make it unreliable.

The duckling has lost a LOT of growing potential as well. He's literally half the size of the other ducklings, by weight. I've been doing some range of motion on him, since he hasn't used it or moved it at all while it was braced. I was afraid he'd have no use of it, but today he's using it. Not very well of course, but he's doing very well and much better than I expected. I'm hoping with continued ROM therapy, he'll have decent use of that leg, and be somewhat normal.

Latest posts