broken outdoor grill

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well I can't grill outdoors anymore and DH says we need new burners and shields for it. The price of replacing them wouldn't quite come out to replacing the whole thing, but he is more tending toward complete replacement.
Today I questioned him about just removing a few things from it and setting it up to just burn charcoal briquettes. He might do, but it still seems ashamed.
Anyone ever repair or build a gas or propane grill? It was supposed to be made of stainless steel, but that wasn't really true.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
We have one that had the factory made up crimped connections at the control valves leak and catch fire. It melted a control knob and rendered the whole thing not usable. We ended up using it as a charcoal grill, since they didn't have replacement parts available.

It was from Wallyworld and sold under the Igloo name. It was supposed to be stainless steel also. Well it was, but it was a very poor quality of stainless because it started rusting in spots within about four months (it had a 3 month warranty). It was a shame too, it came with solid machined brass burners that would have definitely lasted a long time. I kept the burners for some future project.

As for repairing, if the grill is in otherwise good condition and it would be less than half of the cost of a new one, I would do it. As for myself, I have decided to keep an eye on Craigslist for a used quality model like Charbroil.

Good luck.

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You could convert it to charcoal burning for now, catch a new one on sale in the fall, and then use the old one as a smoker.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ours is a Perfect Light or Perfect Flame.....can't recall. But we got it from Lowes. DH said the burners were 32 each and the shields were close to 20 each.......well I searched around and found burners for 10 bucks on amazon, so I might show DH in the morning. I did find out he was right....you really can get them for 32.
So when you converted yours to charcoal, did you need to get a pan to put in the charcoal or you just put it straight in the bottom of the pit, where the guts of the thing used to be?

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
rhoda_bruce said:
So when you converted yours to charcoal, did you need to get a pan to put in the charcoal or you just put it straight in the bottom of the pit, where the guts of the thing used to be?
I scavenged a grill from one that I got off of Freecycle and then cut it to fit into the bottom. That kept the charcoal off of the bottom of the grill and helped circulation.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanx to you both. None of the suggestions are not being considered. DH is complaining that the screws he needs to remove are rusted through. IDK. I will play with it when I am unsupervised and determine if I think it can be repaired. 300 bucks here and there, hurts after a while. If I can pull it apart and clean it, I'm in.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
rhoda_bruce said:
DH is complaining that the screws he needs to remove are rusted through.
A Dremel tool with a cutting blade works wonders in these situations. :D

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanx Knoxxx....That might be some useful info there. We about to start our 'on time' and I will be home, unsuppervised for 12 hours a day.
He's cool, but when I don't know something, I like to take a wack at it alone sometimes.