Broody Biddies EVERYWHERE

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Last year, I bought 50 mixed pullets of Rhode Island Red, White Rock, Buff Orpington, Australorp, and Dominique. Between selling some, and the predators I have roughly 24 left. Well, this year alone we have had a broody RIR, a broody BO, two broody Australorps, a broody Dom, and a broody Easter Egger. The RIR did not finish. The BO hatched 8 chicks, and has returned to civilian life. The Easter Egger is still broody, but will not take to a new nest at all. Nothing works for her. I have the BA's in cages in the coop on eggs tonight. They have settled well. Tonight, I discovered this in an unused rabbit hutch...

l40mvzhjQKSRTVSbYTqvtg.jpg

I wondered why my egg production fell so low last week.... We are in the middle of civil war with the coyotes so I will move her tomorrow so I can have 4 setting hens...

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ive had broody apocolypse this year, too. Ive had my blue Sumatra, 2 Buff Cochins, 2 JG, Splash Cochin, White Rock, and my Gold Spitzenhauben go broody. :barnieAfter unsuccessfully trying to break them of it, I put marked eggs 🥚under them and let them hatch. Out of the six eggs total that made it to hatching, only 4 hatched. 🐣One hatched, or appeared to, but no chick, just the shell was left. :hitI suspect rats.
So four chicks. One only made it to a week and a half, and it disappeared. No clue. :huAnother is almost 4 weeks but has developed stargazers syndrome. Probably going to have to dispatch it. Thats going to suck.:eek:
So I feel your pain.:th Good luck.:drool

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've had a problem with a 2nd hen deciding to brood WITH another! Buy the time they get thru moving & stomping, the eggs are being broken, then eaten. Next yr, I will go back to penning the broody & nest -- alone! Early on the first "pair" broke up 7 eggs and hatched one. That rascal is certainly a roo! 2 hens not laying & one darned chick. :he

My more dependable gal sat 6 & hatched 4...who are not only adorable but, appear to be all pullets. Wouldn't THAT be luck!? two more "shared" & that was a bust. Yep -- penning from now on!!!! The last two are still broody. If I find day old chicks, both will be instant moms!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
One of my Australorps that I have in a cage has destroyed her second nest. I have no idea what happens, but she goes in and breaks a bunch of eggs every time. I am going to evict her this evening because I have another broody Buff Orpington... the cycle continues.

I did find out that yesterday that a person who took 10 out this batch has had three set as well.

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ive never had this many want to brood at once. It was rare Id have maybe one or two, but its been around 8 hens so far that want to do it this year. I dont need more chickens! :barnie :he:th

Last edited:

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We have three. First is a Peking duck that made a nest out in the high thistle and milkweed. That'll be cute.

The other two are chickens, which I don't knoa the variety of. One is out in the thistle and milkweed and the other is sitting on FAKE EGGS in the "food coop" (in winter we use that coop for feeding everyone since the roof flips open and it's low and long). I tried to put some actual eggs under her and she kicked them out and broke them. She's sitting on empty hopes and dreams.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have silkies so I always have broodies. The wheaten ameraucana will go broody at least once a year. Rarely a hatchery easter egger does.

Then there are the silkie mixes. A bit bigger and with normal feathers, but with the silkie broodiness and gang mothering mentality. I'm dealing with 2 of them co-brooding the chicks that one of them hatched.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
One of my hen with 4 chicks (still!!) has another hen who has taken up being the "nanny". She goes all day with the family, talks to the chicks, interacts and acts like hers. At night she roosts and momma hen/chicks either go into one of the broody hutches or they all get on the roost. :idunno Momma hen is ok with it and this helper could be a chick from the same hatch of momma hen, a couple yrs ago. I love to watch interactions and learn.

I'm also "pretty sure" these 4 chicks are all pullets! Wouldn't THAT be sweet luck!? :D

@BarredBuff -- about time for that Dom nesting in the rabbit hutch to hatch if she held out...how goes it?

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I moved the Dom, and she did not take to the new nest. I have that happen several times this year. It has never happened before.

I had an Australorp hatch two chicks off out of 8 eggs. Now, I have another broody Buff Orpington. She wouldn't take to the nest either...

Latest posts