Broody Biddies EVERYWHERE

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We have three. First is a Peking duck that made a nest out in the high thistle and milkweed. That'll be cute.

The other two are chickens, which I don't knoa the variety of. One is out in the thistle and milkweed and the other is sitting on FAKE EGGS in the "food coop" (in winter we use that coop for feeding everyone since the roof flips open and it's low and long). I tried to put some actual eggs under her and she kicked them out and broke them. She's sitting on empty hopes and dreams.

massage therapy or eternal optimism?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've had more issues with nesting/hatching, etc this year than ever before. It must have something to do with the whole upheaval and unusual weather patterns I've also seen this year. Seems to be a little more widespread than before, also. Normally I only rely on broody to hatch. Now, I am considering pulling the incubator out again. :idunno Not my choice. Had more predator concerns than I've had in past several years.

:eek:Last night, out to close coop and there was an unwelcome skunk. Believe it may be living under the coop....it went right under at a place that was obviously being "used" and first time I've seen it. Thought it was the ground hog I had recently unhomed. Now? This one new or always been there? Well....it has got to be packing it's bags!

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have a persistant broody - what is the best way to break her?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Supposed to use something like this hung from the roof or on a stand. Air gets underneath and no bedding for a nest. Then just cage cups for food and water.
91bo6AwLsnL._AC_SX522_.jpg

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks!
I will have to hang one up in the barn tonight. We have a bunch of rabbit hutches in the other barn I can use.
Every time I take her off the nest she pecks at the old weed stems laying on the floor of the coop and demands fresh greens. She loves the weeds I pull from teh garden, but grape leaves are the bestest!!!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You can toss some greens for her but, the air under her butt is what is the key. So, not enough for her to make bedding! And leave her there at least a week...maybe 2 if she's that determined. Attitude adjustment.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My last broody was a beast to break. I finally filled a container with cold water, and sat her in it for a few minutes. Initially, she fought against it, but then, she settled down, and found it to be quite comfortable. Cooling her broody patch with the water did the trick.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
OK. So I was out collecting eggs today and remembered Peg sitting in that food coop on top of those fake eggs. Having essentially ignored her since she started this, many many weeks ago, minus one attempt at slipping a real egg in there, which she promptly broke, I decided to try one more time. So, today I picked her up, took the fake ones away and slipped 5 or 6 real ones in there. I hope since a duck was just sitting on them (chicken eggs), and thus they're still warm, that she'll be happy to continue sitting on them.

So, I took her fake eggs away. Let's see how she mothers these :)

Latest posts