Broody Hen Hatch Along

TheFatBlueCat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hi all,

I promised to do a hatch along when I set my first eggs for the season, so here it is! I will update every few days, although there probably won't be all that much to say that's interesting until hatching day. But I'll try to be detailed, as just because I think it's not interesting, doesn't mean that others won't find the information interesting. I've done all my hatching with broody hens, and I've been doing to for quite awhile now.

It's pretty early in the season to get started, but I had a few pullets go broody. I usually like to let a pullet do her first sit while an experienced hen is also sitting at the same time. The experienced hens aren't silly enough to go broody while it's still winter, so we are just going to give it a try! I shut two broody pullets into broody hen pens, one stayed sitting and one broke her brood. It's quite common for pullets not to be overly committed to their sitting. I always wait at least 3 days from doing the move to be sure they are in fact going to sit. I leave them with a clutch of fake eggs during this time. Ginger Bonnet has decided she is committed, so she has 9 eggs to attempt to hatch. I set them under her on Monday (I'm a day ahead of most of the world here in NZ, so she has had the eggs now for 2 days). So far, so good. She is spending a bit too much time sitting and not enough time eating, but yesterday she did get up and wanted to have a good stretch of her legs. I let her out of the pen so she could go do what she wanted, where she wanted. The broody hen pens are fully enclosed, with food, water and a pile of dust bathing dirt. I do try to let them out of here though if I can be around to supervise that they do go back in a timely fashion, and that no other hens can go and interfere with the nest.

I have hatched many clutches by just letting the hen stay where she decided to brood. I prefer not to do this, as the other hens can be a nuisance, more eggs get broken, and it is much harder to manage the actual hatching day. I now move all hens to broody hen pens, and let them choose if they break or sit. I have so many hens that go broody that it really doesn't matter if some of them decide not to sit.

Here is Ginger Bonnet on her nest - she has 9 eggs, and they were set on the 14th of August - hatching day is 4th September, although I usually find that they start hatching on day 20.

The way I set up brood nests is - wool liner on base, covered with an empty feed sack. Then a layer of dry peat moss, wood shavings, and the top layer is a circle of straw to form the 'nest' for the eggs to sit in.
20230816_115649.jpg

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hi all,

I promised to do a hatch along when I set my first eggs for the season, so here it is! I will update every few days, although there probably won't be all that much to say that's interesting until hatching day. But I'll try to be detailed, as just because I think it's not interesting, doesn't mean that others won't find the information interesting. I've done all my hatching with broody hens, and I've been doing to for quite awhile now.

It's pretty early in the season to get started, but I had a few pullets go broody. I usually like to let a pullet do her first sit while an experienced hen is also sitting at the same time. The experienced hens aren't silly enough to go broody while it's still winter, so we are just going to give it a try! I shut two broody pullets into broody hen pens, one stayed sitting and one broke her brood. It's quite common for pullets not to be overly committed to their sitting. I always wait at least 3 days from doing the move to be sure they are in fact going to sit. I leave them with a clutch of fake eggs during this time. Ginger Bonnet has decided she is committed, so she has 9 eggs to attempt to hatch. I set them under her on Monday (I'm a day ahead of most of the world here in NZ, so she has had the eggs now for 2 days). So far, so good. She is spending a bit too much time sitting and not enough time eating, but yesterday she did get up and wanted to have a good stretch of her legs. I let her out of the pen so she could go do what she wanted, where she wanted. The broody hen pens are fully enclosed, with food, water and a pile of dust bathing dirt. I do try to let them out of here though if I can be around to supervise that they do go back in a timely fashion, and that no other hens can go and interfere with the nest.

I have hatched many clutches by just letting the hen stay where she decided to brood. I prefer not to do this, as the other hens can be a nuisance, more eggs get broken, and it is much harder to manage the actual hatching day. I now move all hens to broody hen pens, and let them choose if they break or sit. I have so many hens that go broody that it really doesn't matter if some of them decide not to sit.

Here is Ginger Bonnet on her nest - she has 9 eggs, and they were set on the 14th of August - hatching day is 4th September, although I usually find that they start hatching on day 20.

The way I set up brood nests is - wool liner on base, covered with an empty feed sack. Then a layer of dry peat moss, wood shavings, and the top layer is a circle of straw to form the 'nest' for the eggs to sit in.
View attachment 24263

thats a wonderful nest for her, 3 week to go
jumpy.gif

TheFatBlueCat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Update one week in on the sit. Still 9 eggs in the nest! I will candle them at about day 10 or 11, and discard any that aren't fertile or have quit early. Ginger Bonnet is a rockstar. She is super committed, is turning her eggs, and she is getting up to take a break. I'm letting her out of the pen about every second day, so she can run around screaming at everyone else and have dust bath in her preferred locations. She has everything she needs inside the pen though!

Here is a photo of her pen, it usually has a big shadecloth cover over it. And another photo of her taking a break and eating some grass. She is mostly interested in eating grass when she gets up. She has a quick nibble of her feed and then rushes to eat grass. I offered her some leafy greens which are usually a favorite but she's not interested in them either.

20230820_121003.jpg

20230820_122026.jpg

TheFatBlueCat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Here comes broody season! Broody number 2 has accepted the move to the broody hen pen and is currently firmly parked on a couple of fake eggs. I'll ensure she is still in it to win it by the end of the day tomorrow, and then she can have some eggs too. But I'm now all out of broody hen pens... fingers crossed nobody else goes down with the broody calling for the next 2 weeks!

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Here comes broody season! Broody number 2 has accepted the move to the broody hen pen and is currently firmly parked on a couple of fake eggs. I'll ensure she is still in it to win it by the end of the day tomorrow, and then she can have some eggs too. But I'm now all out of broody hen pens... fingers crossed nobody else goes down with the broody calling for the next 2 weeks!
Oh my, I ended up with 3, and I was so glad not more, I about went nuts

TheFatBlueCat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
One week till hatch day. Still 9 eggs in the nest as of yesterday. I candled them and the ones I could actually see into appear to have chicks forming and be at about the right stage. I can't see inside all of them, my green shelled eggs are like trying to candle a brick. One of those brinsea high intensity candlers with the ovascope is high up on my wishlist. I've got 5 barred rock eggs in there and 4 green eggs (araucana X barred rock laid those)
Josephine did not end up deciding to sit. So only 1 broody still, thank goodness! I am very pleased with my broody hen pen setup, it's the first year I've had pens that are dedicated to this purpose and not just hurriedly thrown together when required.

Ginger Bonnet having a break and a snack:

20230827_133809.jpg