Broodys all over the place!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Your cats don't go after the chicks? That has mainly kept me from adding any cats here.

I've never had any problem with my cats around my chicks. They just ignore them. One time I had a few really young cats that I showed chicks to and one started to crouch and do the tail twitch. I corrected him verbally and gave him a light tap on the head to snap him out of it and that never happened again. Much like dogs, if your cats respect you, they usually won't touch what is "yours".

Broody mamas also help with that....my broodies are dragon broodies, so any cat coming near their babies is going to get a face full of claws and beak real quick and in a hurry.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I had a broody chase my 60 lb hunting dog across the yard yesterday... I wouldn't be too worried about a cat! Lol
I'd pay good money to see that! lol

I had a broody beat the tar out of a hawk that went after her chicks once. Didn't see that hawk again...

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Woohoo - A coronation Sussex hatched out what looks like 2 lavender orp and one black orp chick! Not exactly wonderful success since she was on at least a dozen eggs. Now, if she can just keep 'em alive!
Congrats! If she just hatched them there may be some more coming? I had a broody hatched chick arrive 3 days after it's hatch mates once. The poor little thing must've known momma's not going to stick around and wait any longer, it zipped, hatched and tried to walk in about 10 minutes.

Miss Lydia

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Both of my mama hens are bantam and don't stand a chance against a 6'blk snake. DH is going to take care of this one if he comes around today.

My bantan frizzle went after my gander once when she had chicks I say once because he picked her up and tossed her into the kiddy pool If I hadn't of come out when I did she'd have drowned. Poor thing was just being protective.

Latest posts