Broodys all over the place!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I had a broody hen several years ago, I lived in town then and didn't have a rooster. I got fertile eggs from a friend and she hatched 5 out of 7. Everything you said is true, Bee. I loved watching her with her chicks.

I bought an incubator and hatched 14 chicks. They are in the brooder on the porch. I set 27 eggs day before yesterday. I wouldn't mind having a broody hen....

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have an Easter Egger rooster with 3 hens in a coop apart from the layer hens. He is about to go in the soup pot. He's mean as a junk yard dog, he hates me and I hate him. Now that I've set these eggs, the clock is ticking for him!

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have 5 NH chicks I got from a man who said he ordered too many. He said they were all pullets but now they are feathered out I'm thinking at least 4 are cockerels, maybe all 5. Either way they will be put to good use feeding my family. Right now they are free range except for the chick feed I throw them 2 or 3 times a day to keep them close to the house.

They are doing well with the pullets and roosters. I kept them in a small pen right near the chicken coop and when I would feed them I would throw hands full of feed or scraps around the edge of their pen so they could see one another for the last few weeks. I pen them up at night in the same little pen so the big chickens don't land on them and crush them coming down in the morning. This happened several times last year. I want a broody so I will probably have to get a silky, bantam or a game to get one.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
OR get Orpingtons. I love mine. Those girls want to set and right now I WANT them to. One began 2 days ago, I take eggs but, once she's shown 3-4 days determination I put her in a broody pen one night with a nest of eggs. So far that has worked will for me. This hen hatched some for me last year and while 2 were roos, they are the tamest ones I have. I had some hatch almost 2 wks ago, from "coop choice" eggs (as BeeKissed so aptly named them :)). Moms were a 3 different breeds but, great moms! I'm ok with whatever I get.

Now that my BO is a go, I have a doz eggs from yesterday and day before to use tonight when I re-nest her. I pick eggs that are from the best hens & nicest eggs, best layers, good temperaments & also most are heavy birds. Many of these will be EEs that hatch. If I were able to get another go broody fairly soon I would be thrilled!

As BeeKissed says, it's the best way, easiest way and so, so cute. Yes, your hens are out of egg laying for a few months but, worth it in the end. I figure I can lose 5 doz eggs for her to hatch & raise the chicks. The chicks have been worth it to me.:old:clap

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well silkie hens are small chickens at 2 pounds so they don't eat much. Mine often co-brood. Had 4 raising 7 chicks once. One would hide the chicks from me and the other three would attack.

Broodies raising the chicks is the very best part to me. I just have to provide the food and water and she makes sure they are warm and taken care of

I run an incubator and give them the chicks now because some aren't the best and moving the eggs around from outside to inside in the nest. Hatches would run to long and hen would give up on the last few.

Having a small enclosure for the first week has worked out well for me this time. I didn't unblock the ramp down until the chicks were a week old.

Hen has gotten how to go down the ramp but not up since it is a new concept for her. Chicks figured that out fast.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Silkies are great broodies. And that is such a funny picture, silkie attacks! I debated getting a few because my birds were not into brooding... Well now I am concerned I'm going to have too many chicks so I'm all set on the broodies lol.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So... I have a weird question. Is linebreeding a big deal in poultry? I don't mean repeatedly, but I do have a couple of hens that are the daughter of my roo and we didn't separate them out before all this broodiness happened. I won't repeat that, obviously, but should I consider all offspring chicken soup? Or is it ok for one generation like it is with goats? They're backyard mutt layers, for the most part (except my Dominiques)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Finally got a stump rolled into the coop for a place to help the juvenile chicks to follow their mama up on the roosts. I closed off the nest boxes and went up later to find them on the top roosts. Success!!!

No more sleeping in a nest box. :ya

Now, need to move the last broody into the maternity ward and put some eggs under her. Sure hope this clutch is more successful than the others.