brushy mtn bee farm- free shipping in December!!!

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My bees and my chickens are in the same enclosed pasture. The chickens don't bother the bees and oddly enough, the bees don't bother the chickens when they pass by very close.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I have on occasion seen my chickens eat a bee, but they generally don't do that again. I haven't lost a chicken to bee sting and usually I don't see the chickens go after bees. I noticed the same with spiders by the way. If they had a bad experience with a spider once, they tend to stay away from them, the rest of them will still eat spiders or they know wich ones to stay away from.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
journey11 said:
Thanks for the heads up. I order from them too, although I haven't gotten a new catalog yet? They had a big sale back in Sept and I just missed it. :p

I'm going to do a split on the one hive I have right now (if they come thru winter strong enough). I need to order components for 2 or 3 more hives. That's a lot of weight, so the free shipping will come in handy!!

Good luck with your new bees, Lori. You will fall in love with them, I guarantee it! :love

@Deb, I am allergic to wasps and mildly allergic to bees. If it's bad enough you can even get sting therapy to desensitize you to the venom. I always take a regular dose of benadryl before I go out to work mine. Then if I do get stung, I am careful to scrape the stinger away properly and take some more benadryl when I get back to the house. My doctor said I can take up to 100 mg of benadryl at a time to knock back a reaction and so far this has worked great for me (and kept me out of the ER). I've got an Epi-pen if I do need it, but hope to never have to use the creepy thing. :p
I do get the shots. My reaction to being stung was getting worse-to the point of being dangerous. My throat would start to close up, which meant a trip to the ER. And, while I can see a difference in my reaction (last 2 times I got stung, I didn't need to go to the ER), right now I'm not ready to take a chance. If I were to ever get the kind of land I want, that might change.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
My great-granddaddy kept bees and he always kept them with the chickens....said they kept the pests away from the hives.

My cousin has all of his old beekeeping stuff....gotta see if he has an extractor... :/