Bte experiment. Direct sow into wood chips

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So after i harvested my potatoes i decided to throw some black eyed peas on the ground and rake them into the woodchips (which are partially decomposed) just to see if they would grow

20190628_172531.jpg

20190628_172550.jpg

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Lol, I should have read this post before I recommended them in the other post. Black eyed peas do great in the HOT summers. Good experienent. You'll be able to make Hopping John! :drool

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I usually follow everything with black eyed peas. Just because i dont know what else to plant. :lol:

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I think the wood chips being broken down makes a huge difference. I have not fertilized much this year. Even with the corn, i spread some coffee grounds and side dressed with a small amount of chicken bedding once. And it did ok. We have used about 10% of the rabbit manure that we did the first year and things are growing well. Idk

The cowpeas arent the only thing that likes the woodchips. We have had 5 times the weeds this year as the first.(which isnt alot but still) I guess as far as nature is concerned they are soil now. I have 3 more piles of woodchips but they are 2 yearz old and well broken down. I think i need some fresh woochips for good mulch.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I usually follow everything with black eyed peas. Just because i dont know what else to plant. :lol:

i do that with beans. we figure out where the rest of the garden vegetables go and then any spaces i have left i fill in with beans.

early in the season i try to get some peas going because we both like them and they make excellent soil conditioning plants too when i bury what's left.